Recipe for predictably good water - every time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
One of the most enjoyable aspects of brewing is getting a deep understanding of what, on the surface, seem like simple things: grain, water, hops, and yeast. After all, what could be so complicated about yeast? They sell it in bulk at the grocery store. Then years later, you find yourself on one of these forums, researching the proper fermentation temperature for an obscure strain of brettanomyces and get pulled into a debate about which lacto-pedio blend produces the most "horse-blanket-like" esters.

I've crawled deep down the rabbit holes of hops, grain, fermentation temps, and yeast. But never water. And frankly, I'm trying to find a way to avoid it. I'm in San Diego CA and our water here, has been predictably good (according to other brewers) for many years. That's starting to change with the drought and it's something that homebrewers and professionals alike are talking about. At my LHSS I was talking with other brewers there about building up water profiles from distilled water (or possibly spring water).

Now, I know this topic of building water profiles from store-bought water has been covered at great length in many threads here at homebrewtalk. Some of the threads are absolutely massive and they draw out all the water scientists, chemists, and other much-smarter-than-me brewers. Within a few replies, someone usually point to the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. That thing is mind boggling.

So, for those of us who don't want to dive deep into this rabbit hole of knowledge, here's what I'm after:

GOAL: Build a recipe for making predictably good brewing water that works with a wide range of beers (but especially the lighter, hoppier beers where the imperfections of water could really stand out) that is easy to replicate at the 5 gallon scale (think about 8 gallons of water total, used in the mash) using known, widely available compounds (like gypsum, calcium chloride, etc). The water should also be ready to support healthy yeast activity, so

With that goal, here's what the guy behind the counter at my LHSS concocted punching the numbers into Beer Smith:

- About 8gal distilled water
- 11g gypsum
- 3g calcium chloride
- 1 serving (see package) of yeast nutrient.

Someone else said "Just use 1/2 spring water and 1/2 distilled. That gets you close enough to the numbers we're after every time."

What are your thoughts? Do you have a recipe for preparing water?

I am no scientist and do not want to become one either. So, I used my County Water Report, punched it into Beer Smith, and adjusted with the recommended amounts for the city I am trying to replicate (i.e. London for a Bitter or Brown Ale). I am sure yours will be different.

I am only just starting down the water rabbit hole, with a small RO system awaiting installation. I don't have an answer, just a question: Why add yeast nutrient to your "go to" water?

Gordon Strong's book has a really good basic guidelines for building water. Its something like 1tsp CaCl for malty beers, 1tsp CaSO4 for hoppy beers, 1tsp CaCO4 for dark beers. A malty hoppy beer would be 1/2 tsp CaCl + 1/2 tsp of CaSO4

look it up, its probably the best thing ever written about home brewing water treatments. Its not sciencey, provides you with a good baseline and encourages you to then salt to taste.

I am no scientist and do not want to become one either. So, I used my County Water Report, punched it into Beer Smith, and adjusted with the recommended amounts for the city I am trying to replicate (i.e. London for a Bitter or Brown Ale). I am sure yours will be different.

Makes sense. I'm trying to build up this water profile from base of distilled water though, not tap.

I am only just starting down the water rabbit hole, with a small RO system awaiting installation. I don't have an answer, just a question: Why add yeast nutrient to your "go to" water?

For the yeast! haha. This was a takeaway from the discussion I had with the other brewers at my LHSS. The consensus seemed to be "Distilled water has nothing in it for the yeast (like spring water would), so if you're building up your profile from distilled water, make sure you use yeast nutrient to bridge the gap." It seemed to make intuitive sense to me, but maybe it's unnecessary. At any rate, I figure it couldn't hurt.

Gordon Strong's book has a really good basic guidelines for building water. Its something like 1tsp CaCl for malty beers, 1tsp CaSO4 for hoppy beers, 1tsp CaCO4 for dark beers. A malty hoppy beer would be 1/2 tsp CaCl + 1/2 tsp of CaSO4

look it up, its probably the best thing ever written about home brewing water treatments. Its not sciencey, provides you with a good baseline and encourages you to then salt to taste.

Ordered! Thanks for the tip.

Hmm, this is not intuitively obvious to me, but maybe that is because I am new to this rabbit hole.

I thought wort was a yeast nutrient. What else does it need?

I use Louisville Ky water. Renowned as the best (drinking) tap water in the US. (Not an exaggeration, it wins many national awards every year.) I figure that's a pretty great place to start, even though perfect drinking water does not equal perfect brewing water. I plugged my water report into the Brewer's Friend calculator, and basically discovered that if I wanted to be really lazy, I could add a few grams of Calcium Chloride to most (but not all) recipes and get "close enough." I don't want to get all sciency with my water, and I even more so do not want to blow money on distilled/RO/spring water...
But I am interested to see where this thread goes, all about the short cuts!

Someone else said "Just use 1/2 spring water and 1/2 distilled. That gets you close enough to the numbers we're after every time."

What are your thoughts? Do you have a recipe for preparing water?

This thread covers what you are looking for. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

Building water is simple
1: Know what you are starting with
2: Decide what target you want
3: calculate the required additions.

1: Requires a water report or using RO water
2: You decide that based on your taste preferences and/or style requirements
3: Software will crunch the numbers

I use Bru'n water. Aside from its usefulness in steps 2 and 3 it is choc-full of great starting information for anyone set on tackling water building or water adjustment.

Latest posts

Back