Recipe for a long term secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athos710

Reaction score
I'm deploying overseas for 6 months and I'm hoping to brew a big batch before I leave. I'll finish primary then put it in secondary while I'm gone. I have a friend who can keep the airlock topped off while I'm gone.
So, anyone have a good ale recipe for a 6 month secondary?

Make a Barleywine, from what I understand those do best when aged 6+ months. I haven't made one yet so I don't have a recipe to recommend but I'm sure someone else does. :)

Huge Imperial Stout or a Sour. That's what I would do.

Big mother F'ing barley wine would be my first choice... Followed by either an old ale or wee heavy... You could age those for month, then decide if you want to add some oak cubes/spirals to them when you return.

How long before you deploy? Depending on the OG of the brew, you might need a solid month (or more) on the yeast cake... Of course, if you have a place to put the brew for 6 months, that temperature stable, you could just leave it on the cake until you return... :D I wouldn't rush the time the brew has on the yeast cake, just to get it into an aging vessel before you ship out.

Back