Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed up a quick and dirty cider and now want to do a proper 5 gal batch.

My local cider mill sells un-preserved pasteurized cider, and can do non-pasteurized for brewers.

I bought some Wyeast Activator ACT4766, unfortunately before I read the sticky.

Here's my initial thoughts:
5 gal Cider (pros and cons of using non-pasteurized?)
5 lbs. Brown Sugar
Yeast.

Will this work? I can't seem to find a Cider brewing calculator like the recipe one on hopville.

Edited to add I plan to backsweeten at least some of it with Splenda and then bottle carb. Some will be left dry and still however.

My 1st thoughts on your recipe: That's a lot of added sugar. That's a lot of BROWN sugar. That's going to be more like a wine than a cider & will have some funky flavour from all that brown sugar. I'd cut the added sugar back to 2lbs. Even if you do decide to use more than 2lbs sugar, I'd keep the brown sugar to 2lbs or under. Regards, GF.

Thanks, this is the kind of advice I was looking for. I remember reading somewhere 1 lb of sugar per gallon, which is what I was basing my plans on. Will definitely scale it back.

Back