recipe description vs. gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Accordionbrew

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have two questions.

Firstly, I am working with extract. Is it better to follow the recommended gallon amount per the recipe or to stop filling the fermenter post boil when gravity requirements are met?

Secondly, stirring a boiling wort... how often? at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello all.

I have two questions.

Firstly, I am working with extract. Is it better to follow the recommended gallon amount per the recipe or to stop filling the fermenter post boil when gravity requirements are met?

Secondly, stirring a boiling wort... how often? at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are extract brewing, your gravity should ALWAYS come out to the correct gravity post-boiling. Just make sure to fill up with the amount of water that is stated on the recipe. Of course this is making the assumption that you actually have the correct amount of extract that is listed in the recipe.

You should only be worried about the OG if you are doing a partial mash or All-grain.

In regards to the stirring, you can stir as often as you want. You should try and stir frequently to make sure that you don't burn sugars at the bottom of the pot.

That's what I do. I grab a padded bar stool up to the stove (bad back), & stir it often to keep it in suspension. Don't like burnt caramel. And stir for 5 minutes or so when you add the top off water to the wort in the FV. Then you're likely to get a more accurate OG measurement. Works for me.

Follow the recipe, including where to top off...you might miss your gravity with specialty grains, and when partial mashing, but shouldn't miss by too many points...either way, 5 gallons of brew is better than 4! You'll still have beer :mug:

I recently did the Chinook IPA extract kit from Northern Brewer. The instructions stated to expect OG of 1.050. I got 1.057. I was surprised. I noticed this recipe did not have a promash report like many NB recipes. I entered the ingredients into brewbuilder (http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/brew-builder). That calculator predicted OG of 1.059. I felt better about my measurement.

Make sure whatever you're using to measure your volumes is accurate. Those ale pales are notoriously inaccurate.

Make sure whatever you're using to measure your volumes is accurate. Those ale pales are notoriously inaccurate.

What would create inaccuracies in the ale pail?

I assume it is best to siphon off enough wort into a glass large enough to house the hydrometer?

Thanks everyone for your comments, learning a lot as I go!

oh... and I think I just got what you were implying... that the ale pail may not actually be at 5 gallons when it reads as so. I have filled with a measured five gallon amount and it is right on.

oh... and I think I just got what you were implying... that the ale pail may not actually be at 5 gallons when it reads as so. I have filled with a measured five gallon amount and it is right on.

Lucky for you, mine are made in china :D

Back