Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk_Mick

Reaction score
I plan on making a single hop simcoe IPA. I've never used simcoe before and I'm looking for some input and advice

Single Hop IPA

Recipe specifics:

Style: American IPA

Batch size: 5.5 gal

Boil volume: 6.5 gal

OG: 1.071

FG: 1.018

Bitterness (IBU): 61.6

Color (SRM): 8.6

ABV: 7.0%

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Two-row (US), 74.1%

2.00 lb Munich (US), 14.8%

1.00 lb Flaked Wheat, 7.4%

0.50 lb CaraVienne, 3.7%

Hops:

1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 34.5 IBU

1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 20 min, 20.9 IBU

0.50 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 10 min, 6.2 IBU

1.50 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

US-05, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

BIAB mash

Mash @154° for 60 minutes.

Boil for 90 minutes, Primary for 14 days at 65°. Dry hop for 5 days with 1.5oz of simcoe hops.

Transfer to keg and cool to 40° for 24 hours. Pressurize at 7psi for 7 days and then hopefully enjoy.

-----

Move all hops except the 60 to flameout and add another 1/2oz if you got it. Delete Munich and add 1/2lb C40. Add at least another oz to dry hop.

The grain bill looks good to me.

+ for a 5 min addition

Do a hop stand

Increase the dry hop to 3 oz

My Simcoe IPA hop schedule is:

1.35 oz @12.7AA 60m
1.00 oz @12.7AA 10m
1.65 oz @12.7AA 0m
15 to 30 minute hop stand/whirlpool at 180
2.00 oz dry hop 5 - 7 days

But with the last 3 of batches that I've done I don't get any pine or cat. Just smooth fruit. Not sure why.

There's a lot of personal preference involved in terms of how to do the hop additions, but sounds like most of us are in agreement that you could use some more late. I'd probably just add a hop stand of a couple oz plus up the dry hop a bit. Grainbill looks good to me - I'm personally not a munich fan in IPA's but I think I'm in the minority on that so won't recommend anything there. I wouldn't up the crystal given you've already got the half lb already.

I would increase the late kettle or dry hop additions by an ounce. If you are looking for hop huge, even more than that. But I like your recipe (I except that I have this totally irrational thing about Munich malt) and think that you are on the path to a tasty beer.

I agree with increasing the hops. To me, that seems like a pale ale, and not one focused on hops. I would add at least another 4oz between flameout/hopstand and dry hopping for anything remotely resembling an IPA

-More hops
-More variety of hops
-More hops closer to end of boil
-More dry hops
-Beer will finish around 1.012 - i.e. 8% ABV

well I think the point of it was to focus on simcoe as an individual hop. but yeah, more hops post boil and add a nice long hopstand for maximum flavor

well I think the point of it was to focus on simcoe as an individual hop. but yeah, more hops post boil and add a nice long hopstand for maximum flavor

You're absolutely correct. Although, IMO I think the OP can still have the focus on simcoe while providing some additional hop character that would help to balance, well, simcoe. I don't think centennial or a little amarillo would take too much away from the focus of simcoe and I think it would provided a more gentle hop profile. But, if the goal is to strictly taste/smell simcoe then ignore my 'variety' option - but the rest stand :D

Historical note....

When I started brewing, the difference between an IPA and a pale ale was about 1% abv and you added an ounce of dry hops. Now, people tell me that the above recipe "looks like a pale ale."

gotta get with the times. Its not an IPA unless you can use it as smelling salts

You're absolutely correct. Although, IMO I think the OP can still have the focus on simcoe while providing some additional hop character that would help to balance, well, simcoe. I don't think centennial or a little amarillo would take too much away from the focus of simcoe and I think it would provided a more gentle hop profile. But, if the goal is to strictly taste/smell simcoe then ignore my 'variety' option - but the rest stand :D

That was the goal but I've never used simcoe before. I'm definitely open to the idea of using a complimenting variety. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your replies!

That was the goal but I've never used simcoe before. I'm definitely open to the idea of using a complimenting variety. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your replies!

I would stick with the simcoe. It's not a one-dimensional hop and you can definitely make great single hop simcoe. This will teach you something about simcoe that you won't learn otherwise.

Pliney is made with Simcoe, columbus and centenial, and Sculpin is Simcoe and Amarillo. It's hard to think of better pairing recommendations than that.

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for your replies!

If I was buying hops just for this beer then I would go with something like this (note the times):

Hops:
1.25 oz Warrior (AA 15.0%, Pellet) 60 min, ~50 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 5 min, ~7 IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) Hopstand for 25min @ ~175F, ~2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 9.0%, Pellet) Hopstand for 25min @ ~175F, ~1 IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) dry hop
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 9.0%, Pellet) dry hop

You could dial back all late/dry additions by about 25% to save some money and still end up in a similar ballpark. I think this puts the focus very much on simcoe but mellows it with some juicy, citrusy, floral undertones. The changed the bittering addition to a less expensive and known-to-be-smooth bittering hop, but there's nothing wrong with using simcoe for bittering either. The hopstand is simply bringing your wort down to 175F after the boil and stopping; then add your hopstand hops; every several minutes I like to gently stir things up; at the end of 25 minutes continue chilling down to pitching temps. Ferment the batch on the cool side to keep the vigor down and you'll preserve a little bit more of the late addition hop qualities (I've found).

Single hop beers are a good way to learn IMO, and I'm a simcoe fan, so I think you're fine with your initial plan if you still want to go that way. Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 is a single hopped simcoe ale that is one of my favorite APA's - both the commercial version and the clone recipe in the database. That being said I've also made it with other hop combos that are just as yummy. For 2 hop pairings my go to's are Simcoe + amarillo or centennial or cascade, with a 50/50 split for late and dry hops. I agree with stpug, amarillo/simcoe go very well together and are a popular choice. With cascade and centennial I get more grapefruit which I also like. Hard to go wrong whatever you decide! And now I'm getting thirsty. :)

Thanks for your replies!

Back