Recipe Critique: Raspberry Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman9182

Reaction score
I plan on brewing this for my sister as a Christmas gift. She's not really a big beer drinker (she just thinks it would be cool f I made her some beer), and she likes raspberry, so I figured this would be up her alley

5lbs White Wheat Malt
5lbs Belgian Pilsner
.5lbs Acidulated Malt

1oz Hallertauer (4.3%) @ 90 minutes

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

~2lbs raspberry puree added in a few days into fermentation

Only thing I'm really not sure of are the mash temp (I was thinking 154) and the acidulated malt. I was hoping a small amount would just give it a lightly tart edge. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

Good to see some raspberry puree, nothing artificial. I have no input on the rest of the recipe but was unfortunate enough to be "gifted" a 6'er of Shock Top Raspberry Wheat and I hope for your gift recipient's sake, yours tastes nothing like the Shock Top. Worst beer I've ever had.

Yeah more raspberry, you won't get any sort of flavor from 2lbs. If you use 6 lbs of fresh, plan to lose a LOT of beer to trub (not really trub, but the raspberries absorb the beer like crazy). Lastly, either plan on doing a tertiary fermentation (racking to another vessel after putting the beer on raspberries), or using finings like gelatin. I personally might do both.

I just bought a Shock Top variety pack. The original and pumpkin were okay, but man that raspberry is way too sweet. Side by side with our homebrew raspberry wheat w/ WY 3333 is no comparison.

2 of the 15 oz cans would give enough raspberry flavor for 5 gallons. If you wanted significant raspberry flavor you could add 3.

I'd say ditch the acidulated malt, unless you're using just enough to correct PH issues.
The yeast will munch on the fruit sugars and will leave the beer probably as tart as you could want.

Back