Recipe Critique - My Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crags9

Reaction score
I've been toying around with trying to come up with my perfect haus pale ale recipe and, hopefully, I've got it. Any and all comments are welcomed. Below is what I'm thinking:

11 Gallon Batch

16 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
4 lbs. - Vienna Malt
1 lb. - Crystal 10L Malt
1 lb. - Carapils/Dextrine

Mash somewhere low, around 150 for 60 minutes.
Batch Sparge

1 oz each of Cascade/Amarillo @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz each of Cascade/Amarillo @ 30 minutes
0.25 oz each of Cascade/Amarillo @ 15 minutes
0.25 oz each of Cascade/Amarillo @ 5 minutes

(2) packages of Nottingham yeast

What do you guys think?

Sounds good, but why add cara-pils while mashing for low body? Couldn't you skip it and mash higher? Personally, I think pale ales, IPAs, bitters, etc. should be on the light-bodied side - I'd probably leave the cara-pils out and still mash at 150.

Awesome. Thanks BrewMU. This is my first try at my own recipe. That definitely makes sense because I do want this to be on the lighter side pale ale / ipa.

Sounds good, but why add cara-pils while mashing for low body? Couldn't you skip it and mash higher? Personally, I think pale ales, IPAs, bitters, etc. should be on the light-bodied side - I'd probably leave the cara-pils out and still mash at 150.

Well, to each his own, but I personally like a bigger body... although I try to get it without carapils... I would mash this at 158 and only go 30 minutes... That's what makes brewing great though, isn't it :D

Bumping...

I'm planning on brewing this on Sunday and just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions and/or comments. Thanks for the help!

Bumping...

I'm planning on brewing this on Sunday and just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions and/or comments. Thanks for the help!

I like to mash all of my APAs and IPAs at 153/154 and use less crystal (almost never use carapils). It's just a matter of personal preference.

I'd suggest moving the 30 minute addition to flame out if you want a nice hoppy flavor and nose on this beer, but I think it's good as written as well.

Thanks Yooper. I was thinking about moving some of the hops to later in the boil. I will probably try your recommendation.

Have you got the beer to the glass yet? I am curious what you did and how it turned out.

What temp did you mash at?

Back