Recipe Critique - Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfellman

Reaction score
Hey All,

Ive been a long time lurker but haven't really posted much so I figured it was time to start haha! Ive done about 4 homebrews from kits but I want to start building recipes and have a little more fun with it. So me and my buddy want to brew a summer beer and Id like your critique on a recipe I found and tweaked a bit. Thanks!

Fermentables
.5 lbs Honey Malt (steeping 155 for 30 min)
6 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract
2 lbs Honey

Hops
.75 oz Mt. Hood (60 min)
.75 oz Summit (15 min)
.50 0z Summit (flame out)

Others
.5 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

Yeast
White Labs #WLP051 Cali Ale V - Not sure on this?

I think you're in the sweet spot for honey/honey malt usage. I used 2.25 pounds of honey and half a pound of honey malt in my Honey Wheat that just finished fermenting and the sample I pulled today was delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The actual honey is almost all fermentable, something like 95%, so most of those sugars turn in to alcohol. It might leave a little residual sweetness, but that's mostly what the malt is for.

That being said, I'd wait for a more veteran brewer to chime in, this is only my second batch haha!

You won't get much flavor from the 2 lbs honey, it'll almost all ferment out. I would just up the honey malt to 1-1.5 lbs and replace the honey with more LME/DME. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone

You won't get much flavor from the 2 lbs honey, it'll almost all ferment out. I would just up the honey malt to 1-1.5 lbs and replace the honey with more LME/DME. That's my 2 cents.

So to get more of the honey flavor you recommend just uping the honey malt and getting rid of the honey all together?

Yea basically. Actual honey adds no flavor it's just basically expensive sugar. I make a honey ale and use 1.5 lbs honey malt, no actual honey, and it has good honey flavor and color.

Sent from my iPhone

So I was doing research on this in preparation for making my own honey ale. An article I found on BYO read like (to me) if you pastuerize your honey but don't boil you will get more honey flavor.

I am not sure how much honey flavor is "more", though.

Many many years ago...12-15, I had the same idea. I used Crystal 60...2lbs I think. Crystal had a lot of non-fermentable sugar so the sweet honey flavor really came out. If I remember right...and this is suspect...light malt extract, 6lb with Cascade, 2oz gave me what I was looking for. I'll be doing this one again in a couple weeks after my Milk Stout is bottled. Just getting back into it after many years off. Things have really changed!

I've got a honey cream ale that's just getting ready for drinking that I used .75lbs of honey malt and 2lbs of honey at flame out. the honey is there for sure but not overpowering at all.

I brewed a honey brown with too much dark roasted grain and I can barely taste honey when finished and I used 4.5 lbs. I could taste honey up to about 1.018 SG. ( I like to taste my beer usually 4 to 6 times through out the entire process. Increases odds of infection but I like to see how the flavor profile changes.

I

Always use honey malt over honey. The honey malt brings a beautiful honey scent and taste through for the end product! I used honey in one brew and it was VERY VERY subtle and gave me a "dry" taste. Then used honey malt on a second batch and loved the outcome !

I made a similar recipe with 2lb of raw honey but no honey malt. I added 1lb of the honey at flameout and the other 1lb into the secondary in an attempt to preserve as much honey flavor as possible. It turned out to be a great beer but there was very little if any honey flavor. Next time I will use honey malt and add all of the honey to the secondary, or late in the primary.

Ok so I worked on the recipe a little bit and this is what I am thinking about going with. Let me know what you think

Fermentables
.5 lbs Honey Malt (steeping 155 for 30 min)
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 10L (steeping 155 for 30 min)
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Malt

Hops
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
.75 oz Mt. Hood (15 min)

Others
.5 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

Yeast
White Labs German Ale/Kolsch WLP029 (with starter)

Back