Recipe Critique: Going for a cheap and easy pilsner like ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristiismean

Reaction score
Grain
2 Row Pale Malt 7 Lbs
Carapils 0.5 Lbs
Roasted Barley 0.25 Lbs
Flaked Corn 2 Lbs

Hops Weight Time
Cluster 1 oz 60 min
Saaz 1 oz 20 Min
Saaz .5 oz 5 Min
Saaz .5 oz 0 Min

Yeast Wyeast 1318 1.014
or Wyeast 3711 1.010

single infusion 60 min mash 152

questions:
will the 3711 give it more of a cleaner dryer taste that one would pick up on?
going for something like a kombocher, but a little lower in ibu, a little more abv. retain that pilsner like taste (in an ale)

plan on fermenting it at 67 degrees with either yeast.

this is for a quick down and dirty beer with high drinkablilty...

*to everyone who reads this, and sees the first post and goes, if he wants a pils but wants to make it without pilsner malt, while it seems very stupid, I do not have the fermentation control to make a pils or lager. So I have been reading many recipes, and quite a few recommend if one wants a pils like ale, then don't use pilsner malt because it will be "off" if fermented at a warmer temperature, so that's what has been throwing me off. I do NOT have the ability to lager, or bring fermentation temps down to 50-54 degrees. This is why it's a pilsner LIKE beer. (I can ferment 63-68 this time of year).

It's not even close to a pilsner, but who cares. Brew it, drink it, adjust next time. I don't like either of those yeast choices for this beer, but who am I to care. Brew it, drink it, adjust next time.

It's not even close to a pilsner, but who cares. Brew it, drink it, adjust next time. I don't like either of those yeast choices for this beer, but who am I to care. Brew it, drink it, adjust next time.

I care, what yeast choice would you recommend? was almost thinking us-05 or us-o4

and by pilsner, I guess I should clarify. an Ale that is similiar in taste to something like Krombocher pils.

If you want it to be more pils like, then try using pils malt instead of 2-row. Also .25 of roasted barly is going to make it very dark. You could eliminate that. With .25 lb you will get a roast flavor and it will be pretty dark. If you want a little maltier flavor add some munich malt.

For yeast use WY1007 or WY2565. Those yeasts will give you more of what you are looking for. They both produce a nice clean flavor if fermented at the lower end of the temp range.

all right, sounds good. thanks beergolf. I'll use Pils malt and munich malt.

What I would do:

crank up the pilsner malt (could even be 100%)
ditch the corn
noble hops, probably magnum for bittering, all added in 30-60min range, 25ish IBU
WLP029

FWIW, I did a session brew years ago that was the shortest lifetime of a batch ever. Folks loved it and it went fast. Technically it was a cream ale, but I was shooting for the same thing you are.

2 row, carapils and minute rice. Tatt's and Saaz. WLP029 yeast. Simple but great, shot for 4% abv and came in around 3.9%. I think the yeast was key to keeping it pretty clean. It was ready fast, like 4 weeks and was great young drink.

I care, what yeast choice would you recommend? was almost thinking us-05 or us-o4

and by pilsner, I guess I should clarify. an Ale that is similiar in taste to something like Krombocher pils.

If you're flexible then I switch it up quite a bit for a:
1.050 OG
92% German Pils malt
5% Carafoam
3% Carahell

35 IBUs with decent finishing charge at 15 and 5 minutes
Saaz and/or Tett hops

Wyeast 2124

Ferment between 48F to ~62F - the colder you go the more "lager" character it will have. 2124 is highly versatile and can get up into the 60s and still produce a lager-like beer, but it's more pronounced at lower temps. Brew it, drink it, adjust next time ;)

Looking at Tett hops.

to everyone who reads this, and sees the first post and goes, if he wants a pils but wants to make it without pilsner malt, while it seems very stupid, I do not have the fermentation control to make a pils or lager. So I have been reading many recipes, and quite a few recommend if one wants a pils like ale, then don't use pilsner malt because it will be "off" if fermented at a warmer temperature, so that's what has been throwing me off. I do NOT have the ability to lager, or bring fermentation temps down to 50-54 degrees. This is why it's a pilsner LIKE beer. (I can ferment 63-68 this time of year).

if you can ferment @ 67 you can brew a lager.
http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/
I've done it with great results.
my Helles lager sounds like what your after
80/20 pilsner/Vienna
any noble hop to 25 IBU + an oz @ KO
shoot for an og around 1.050, fg around 1.010
i bottle so I did a 3 wk primary @ 67° , 3 wks bottle conditioning @ 72° & 3 wks lagering @ 34°. the beer comes out clean, clear & crisp.

Latest posts

Back