Recipe critique for a red IPA including coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
Hey everybody--

I had been looking to do a black IPA for a while, but I'm planning to have a late-spring beer party, and I didn't want something quite that dark. So I have been toying with the following recipe, which would be (I hope) more of a dark amber color, with a hint of roast and dark fruit provided by light- or medium-roast coffee beans that will be "dry hopped" in the beer. By avoiding really dark coffee, I hope to get some of the fruit and light roast character but not a lot of the darker, chocolate kind of flavors. I'm also hoping to avoid much bitterness from coffee. I feel like these qualities could blend well with a high degree of hoppiness and fairly high bitterness (60ish IBUs).

It's also a little sweeter because many of the other beers on offer will be quite dry. I think a slightly sweeter and darker beer will mix in well.

Here is my draft recipe. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1698047

OG 1.066
FG 1.018
6.4% ABV
68 IBU
14 SRM

FERMENTABLES
6 lbs 2-row
5 lbs munich
8 oz 40L crystal
4 oz special B
1 oz carafa II (dehusked black) or midnight wheat, depending on what LHBS has in stock

MASH
153F for 60 minutes

HOPS/BOIL
.5 oz Summit leaf, 60 min (27.8 IBU)
1 oz Chinook pellet, 30 min (34.7 IBU)
1 oz Chinook pellet, 1 min (1.9 IBU)
1 oz Simcoe pellet, 1 min (1.9 IBU)
1 oz Meridian pellet, 1 min (1 IBU)
(considering dry hopping with 1 oz Meridian or Chinook)

ferment with US-05 or Chico, roughly 66-68F

"dry hop" with 4 oz crushed light/medium-roast coffee beans and maybe 1 oz Meridian or Chinook pellets

edit: updated grain bill to sub in a little Munich, after viewing https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/india-red-ale-160034/

Back