Recipe Critique: Extra Hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexXedBrewing

Reaction score
8 lb Alexander's Pale Extract
1 lb Crystal 60L

1oz Centennial
1oz Chinook
1oz Kent Golding
1oz Cascade
2oz Nugget

*0.5oz of cascade dryhopped
*0.5oz of chinook dryhopped
*1oz of nugget dryhopped

6oz hops total

4.3 gallon batch.

wyeast 1056

Thanks bros!

From some recent experiences and advice from great folks on this site, I would back off the Crystal a bit for sure. Also, what is your hop schedule?

I'm curious, why no crystal malts?

Hop Schedule:
35 mins 1.0 Centennial
35 mins 0.5 Chinook
35 mins 1.0 Nugget
10 mins 1.0 Kent Golding
5 mins 0.5 Cascade

All the dry hopping hops added after 5 days, and left for a week.

Also.. I did a late boil on the malts.

Started with 2lb LME and added the last 6 lb at 10 min remaining.

If you listen to the Vinnie Cilurzo interviews on the Brewing Network, he talks about the weird interactions between Crystal malts and American hops. For some reason, the flavor interactions seem to work a bit better with British hops. Beyond that... it really sounds decent, as long as you know exactly what each hop/malt addition is doing to your brew. You've got a heck of a mix, but it could work... And by "late boil on the malts" you mean only the LME, right? Boiling the Crystal could result in a lot of extracted tannins that make for a bit too astringent a brew.

I wouldn't say "no crystal", but I'd go with half a pound. Keep in mind that the extract contains some residual crystal as well.

smagee said:
I wouldn't say "no crystal", but I'd go with half a pound. Keep in mind that the extract contains some residual crystal as well.

Agree about the extract possibly containing crystal. Use the lightest DME possible ( extra light) and don't let your crystal content exceed 20% of your grain bill or you'll end up with sweet beer due to unfermentable sugars.

http://www.beersmith.com/Grains/Grains/GrainList.htm

gypsyhead said:
If you listen to the Vinnie Cilurzo interviews on the Brewing Network, he talks about the weird interactions between Crystal malts and American hops. For some reason, the flavor interactions seem to work a bit better with British hops. Beyond that... it really sounds decent, as long as you know exactly what each hop/malt addition is doing to your brew. You've got a heck of a mix, but it could work... And by "late boil on the malts" you mean only the LME, right? Boiling the Crystal could result in a lot of extracted tannins that make for a bit too astringent a brew.

yes just the LME. I r just steeping the crystal for more body.

that's strange, don't British hops in general have less alphas?

Latest posts

Back