recipe /clone/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy1858

Reaction score
ok i wanted to make a pale ale like Yazoo Brewery. their site says this
made with
English pale
Munich
Vienna
and Crystal malts.
Hopped with Amarello,Perle,and cascade
used english ale yeast.
OG.14 Plato
FG3.3 Plato
IBU-55
SRM6
5.8 Abv.

I did this
7lbs German Pilsner
2lbs german wheat
1lb belgian special B
0.10 Crystal 60L
1.0 Dextrin
1.0 oz Centennial AA%8.1 90 mins
1.0 0z Perle AA%6.5 5 mins
1.0 oz Cascade AA%6.4 at 15 mins
i got
OG 1.060
Fg 1.015
IBU 48
srm 57 its dark!
ABV 5.8

This is a good beer i made but not close to what i intended to make any help on another try for the Yazoo clone?
I am doing all grain brewing and also cant find the Amerillo hops.I figured sombody here could get me closer than i got. and if not hey its beer right Drink it!

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you attempt to clone a beer with a completely different grain bill than the brewer lists?
I am not familiar with that beer but read the description on their site (which btw I think they need to update: "citrusy hop aroma and flavor, coming from the newly discovered Amarillo hop" ?? Amarillo was released in 2000, but whatever).

How about starting with a base of Maris otter, throw in a lb each of Vienna and Munich, and then maybe 0.5 lb of some light crystal. 6 SRM is pretty pale.
I would bitter with the Perle or centennial to get 55 IBU then do late additions of cascade + centennial. Sounds like they are stressing the Amarillo presence though, so it probably won't be a great clone.
You didn't mention what yeast you used, but for English ale you could go with something like S-04 or WL002.

Ok i know my grain bill was way off. my LHBS carries Weyermann Grains. Maris Otter is just a malter right? so can i replace it with Weyerman Pale ale?also i have Weyerman CaraMunich 1 it has EBC 80-100 Lovibond of 38-48 and i will have to see what they have for the Viennaand i know they have some crystal malts but not sure on the color. I have used the WLP060 American Ale Blend in most of my beers but it was a washed yeast from a coopers Irish stout kit i used in the previous batch and im not positive what it was. I still have some in the cooler to make a starter from for another try at the Yazoo beer. I had the Pilsner from a light beer I made and liked the malty flavor in the light beer but the extra hops covered the malty taste in the darker beer.i have made several kit beers and about 8 or 10 all grain beers so far so im still learning about different yeast and hops and how to combine them. I just made the Cream of three crops beer on here and did a hop tea experiment with it in place of a dry hop im kegging it tomorrow and serving it on saturday.Thanks for your input on a clone try i will brew something as close to it as i can with what my LHBS has to offer.

Maris otter is actually a variety of barley, marketed by various British maltsters (Crisp, Bairds, Fawcett, etc). MO has a pretty distinctive taste - a little more toasty or complex than say an American pale malt. Many folks prefer it as a base for English style beers. So you can certainly use a different pale malt, it just depends on how much you are really trying to clone the beer. Same would go for the yeast - an American strain is not going to get you as close (but would make a good beer). :)

One other thing, caramunich is actually a crystal malt so I wouldn't use it as a sub for Munich. Vienna is like a very light Munich. I would think your LHBS would have these if they are carrying Weyermann.

:mug:

Back