Recipe change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a local brewer gave me a couple of all grain kits he was going to brew with a friend that wanted to learn. The guy just kinda flaked on him so after about 8-9 months, he decided to clear up some space. One of the kits was a white stout which I am going to brew as is (will be my first All Grain BIAB this coming weekend). The other was an IPA.

I haven't had an IPA that I have liked. Never had a rye beer for that matter. I have some US-05 that I will be using with this kit Juice Box Rye IPA if I just cut back to the 1 oz Mosiac at the 90 minute and add 1 oz with 30 minutes remaining, what kind of beer would come out? Would it basically be a Pilsner or Pale Ale at that point? I don't really drink or brew these beers typically so just wanted to have an idea of what would be a general style on it. I was going to try to brew something with the different items from the kit but they're all together so nothing to really do except tweak the hops. Either way it will be interesting since I haven't brewed anything other than extract kits previously.

Last edited:
I think you’d get a rye pale ale from that, it won’t be a pilsner as there’s more to that than just leaving out hops.

I’d plug those ingredients into an online recipe calculator and see what it says for your 2 oz plan. As long as you get about 30 IBUs it could be a decent pale ale. With the high OG it might take more than 2 oz so that’s why I’d use a calculator.

Defineatly won't be a pilsner. It will be something like an American pale ale (rye) but probably still too bitter. My calculator says it will be 67 ibu. So You may want to cut the hops another 25 -50%.

+1 on using a recipe formulator. Brewer's Friend is free.
You don't need to boil that for 90'. 60' is fine.

To reduce bitterness, but retain more hop flavor instead, add the 2nd ounce of Mosaic at 5' or at flameout (0'), definitely not at 30'.
Bitterness from that last (2nd) hop addition also depends on how fast you can chill down to 150F or below.

Back