Recipe building help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
Not going to post this on the ale recipe forum yet until I have finished it and actually have a decent product to put up there. I brewed the cream of three crops ale a few weeks ago and my friends drank almost the entire 5 gallons in a day, so obviously it was a hit. However I'm wanting to make it more of my own and make a light version of it. I want to change the profile around to give it less corn flavor. My goal is for an OG of 1.032 and a FG around 1.000 giving me an ABV around 4.2. A 5.25 gallon batch would look like

6# pale 6-row (need help here)
.75# flaked or minute rice
.5# flaked corn

90 minute mash at 152

hops
1oz saaz @60
1oz hallertau hersbrucker @60

yeast S05

ferment @ 64 degrees 7 days
bring to 70 for 3 days then rack into secondary
add 1 tsp amylase
1 week in secondary @64
cold crash then keg

My biggest questions are:
6 row vs 2 row malt? Whats the benefit of each? I've read that perhaps a Mic Ultra uses 6 row
Would this grain bill lead to a more crisp less corn flavor?
Would a FG of 1.000 be possible and how would that make my beer taste?
I don't care much about the hops schedule, I just put these in because I have some on hand and it gives me the right IBUs but I'll gladly listen to any input y'all have.

Thanks

6-row is normally used when using a lot of adjuncts because it has more enzymes for conversion and more husk to assist in sparging. To me it has a more pronounced grainy character that 2-row. With the small amount of adjunct you are talking about here I don't think the enzyme part will matter, especially if you use flaked which are pre-gelatinized. I don't think you will get much corn flavor with .5 lb of it either. You may be able to get this beer down to 1.000 with a standard American Ale yeast and the addition of enzymes. You could mash really low (148 or so) for a long time and throw a lot of yeast at it which will help. The only beers I ever get down to 1.000 are my Saisons.

I tweaked it a bit more and came up with this

5.5# 2 row
.75# flaked or minute rice
.5# flaked corn

This will do a OG of 1.03, ABV of 4.15 if the FG is 1.000

I also switched the recipe to having 34/70 for the yeast to actually make it a light lager instead of a cream ale. Do I have to pitch that yeast at lager rates? Or will a regular pitch rate be fine since the OG is so low and its fermenting fairly warm?

What's the reasoning for the 1.000 finishing gravity? Trying to replicate the brut IPA thing?

What's the reasoning for the 1.000 finishing gravity? Trying to replicate the brut IPA thing?
BJCP guidelines for American Light Lager is an OG of 1.028-1.040 and a FG of .998-1.008. A FG of 1.000 would lead to a very dry and crisp finish which most BMC drinkers prefer. This is a beer to keep on tap for football season when I have a bunch of folks over and they don't like a lot of the craft stuff I like to brew. I also like to pound a few beers and mix it up a bit and this would allow me to do that and it is very cheap. $12 or less for the ingredients if I harvest my yeast plus the cost of the RO water.

Back