Recipe attempt... thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville61

Reaction score
So here is my recipe I have decided to go with for my second batch. Just wondering if any of you experts had any advice or thoughts about it? Feel free to tell me that this recipe is going to flop :drunk:

Extract Brew Process:
4 lb Alexander's Pale Malt Extract
2 lb Munton & Fison Light DME
.25 lb Caramel (briess) Malt (10L)
.25 lb Caramel (briess) Malt (60L)
.25 Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
.25 Special Roast (Briess) (50L)
1 oz Challenger Hops (6.9%) 60 Minute
.5 oz Fuggles (4%) 15 Minute
British Ale Yeast (Wyeast)

I don't know about mixing an American Pale Malt with an English dry but I am not an expert AT ALL so maybe its not a bad thing. Thank you in advance for any help and advice:mug:

For your second batch, why not go with a well-reviewed existing kit instead? I find that its easiest to take an exisiting recipe and then modify it to whatever tweaks you like than to just come up wiht something totally new. But either way you'll end up with good beer.

Are you going to make a starter? Liquid yeast needs a starter. If not then I'd switch it out with S-05 or Nottingham perhaps.

I dunno, that looks pretty decent. If you think making your own recipe would be fun, then go ahead and do it.

I don't think the US/English mixing of extracts is that big a deal. It's usually more important to be in synch between hops and yeast, and you are. I haven't run the IBUs.... 25-30?

I mix LME & DME from different countries all the time. And yes,there constituents are different from region to region. But it makes for some good malt complexities where extract brewing is concerned.
It looks like you'll wind up with a brown ale to me.

You guys are good! My calculations got me at about 32 IBU I think and the goal was to get an English Brown Ale... well in this case an American English with the malts ha. Glad to hear that mixing is ok. Guess i'll see in about 6 weeks if this beer is any good!

I love how much better LME ales taste when I add at least 3lbs of DME & hops to make it into something else. Here's an example from a few brews ago;
1 can Cooper's OS Draught
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
2oz each of;
Columbus hops
Nugget
Cascade
Brewed to 23L or 6.072G
Came out to 5.9%ABV
There's a pic in my gallery of it. But the point being you can get some great flavors this way,& it's pretty clear. Just could've been cleareer if I'd been a bit more sober & poured it right!,,,

Back