Recipe Advice with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so tomorrow i'm brewing the Summer Ale, What-if Version, c. 1830 recipe from the Radical Brewing book. When I went to buy my ingredients yesterday I thought it was a lot of hops, and after plugging it in Beersmith, the beer is a whopping 90 IBU's. My issue is that I wanted to use Challenger hops but my LHBS hasn't had them in over two years and suggested Perle. I think the AA is a bit too high for this recipe and considering either changing the hop schedule or putting in less. What are your thoughts? The other option is to say hell with it and use it all. Decisions decisions. Thoughts?

It's a 11 gal batch, here's the recipe:
- 12lb Maris Otter
- 4 lb Pilsener
- 2 lb malted wheat
- 2 lb piloncillo, demerara or simmilar unrefined sugar

- 5oz Fuggle or Syterian Goldings (i'm using the Perle instead) @ 60 mins
- 4oz East Kent Goldings @ 5 mins
- .5oz crushed coriander @ 5 mins
- .5oz candied ginger @ 5 mins

Mash at 150-152 for 60 mins, boil one hour with two hop additions. Ferment with English Ale Yeast.

Thanks!

I don't know what AA% the original recipe was looking for from the fuggles. Since Perle tends to have 2X the AA% of goldings or fuggles, I would use 2.5 oz of Perle. The beer looks to have a very high OG; so the high IBUs probably will work. Certainly, not your easy drinking patio pounder summer ale LOL Make a good sized starter to get the yeast off to a healthy start.

Perle is a very rough tasting hops, It's not very good for lot's of high bittering AA. I would use something else, or add some rye to hide the rough taste. Perle is used in German lagers, and never more than 30 IBU's. If you want German hops I would go with magnum. Williamett, glacier or Mount hood for American hops.

Back