Recapturing the Past

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlarham

Reaction score
I gave up brewing about 2 years ago when after shifting to full-grain brewing for various reasons, and now for various reasons I want to brew again -- even if I simplify to partial mash.

Unfortunately, my journal was lost in our last move, though my equipment survived. So here I am, trying to recreate my favorite APA recipe -- I think I'm fairly close, but I figured I would ask for feedback in case I've forgotten something huge and glaring.

What do you think? This is a PM version of the full grain recipe as I remember it -- full boil.

3# Light Dry Extract
2# Pale 2-row
1# Crystal Malt (20L)
1# Victory Malt
.5# Cara-Pils
.5# Munich Malt

1.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min boil
1.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade @ 2 min

Wyeast American Ale II

I'm the most unsure about the ratios for the crystal and the munich malt.

Thanks for any feedback!

-- T.

I've been trying to reconstruct Stiffy, which my former brewing partner developed. I thought he was recording the recipe as it evolved, but discovered that he never wrote down the hops.

That's more crystal than I would use in an APA. Most pales only use a base malt and 1/2 lb of crystal, so you've got something much maltier than normal. That said, I like the recipe.

That's more crystal than I would use in an APA. Most pales only use a base malt and 1/2 lb of crystal, so you've got something much maltier than normal. That said, I like the recipe.

I was thinking about what the beer looked like the last time I made it, and while I called it an APA, it was a maltier beer (love that cascade aroma though), so it would probably be best described as a red or amber ale.

Back