Recapping bottles half way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn81

Reaction score
I'm a first time homebrewer and I made the schoolboy error of using my old Peroni beer bottles and caps. The caps haven't really taken well (I assume they're a one-time-only seal) and I've ordered new caps online. I bottled the beer late on Saturday with carbonation drops. The new caps will come Wednesday-friday,so potentially 6 days after original bottling. I'm sure the bottles will be leaking CO2 until then and when I open them to replace the caps they'll lose even more. So, is the brew ruined or will it carbonate ok over the following week? Should I add another drop to the bottles? Or keep them bottled for 2 weeks from the secondary capping?

Any advice much appreciated

You know, I come to HBT to read and learn, and on some occasions help others figure out solutions to their problems. Well my friend, you have me stumped. I might add another drop, but would be fearful of bottle bombs. Such a tough call. I hope someone else out there has a good answer. BTW, never reuse bottle caps again! 😄

Also, welcome to HBT. We all started out making mistakes and most of us still make mistakes. Figure out where you went wrong and try again. HBT is full of brewers more than happy to help you. Good luck and enjoy your homebrew. :thumbsup:

I would just let it ferment out so no chance of bottle bombs and then add another round of tabs and then recap. You will have a lot of sediment so don’t be alarmed.

Back