Reasonably intelligent, but very thirsty and frustrated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradnerBrewer

Reaction score
:confused: I consider myself to be a person of reasonable intelligence, but trying to figure out how the $#%^ to attach my weldless bulkheads and valves to my keggles and my Rubbermaid cooler mash tun is making me fell like an absolute moron.

First up, I ordered what was supposed to be a stainless steel bulkhead specifically for a cooler. I'm using the 10gal orange Rubbermaid "Home Depot" one. The bulkhead is described as, "fitting for most cylindrical coolers with a maximum usable clearance of about 1" (Minimum 5/8")". That's me!

I tried a couple different sized nipples. The first, as you can see, doesn't protrude into the cooler enough to attach anything to:
IMAG2242_zpscbc02bfa.jpg

The longer one, despite using three washers as spacers, plus a large o-ring, wasn't enough to make it tight enough for a proper seal. One more washer would do it, but seriously, I have to use 4 washers to make this work? It makes no sense.
IMAG2237_zps5c554ae4.jpg

On the outside, I used a large washer and an o-ring. I used the o-ring primarily as a spacer so the valve would clear the cooler sufficiently to close it. I figure that's the only part I got right since the valve worked.
IMAG2238_zps439ac695.jpg

As for the keggles, I'm still having issues finding the right combination of bits and pieces to make it work, but I think I'll resolve the cooler issue first, then move on to the keggles.

As you can see, I have a good selection of parts and they were ordered specifically for their intended use; 2 stainless steel weldless bulkheads for the keggles and one for the cooler (one valve is not pictured here).
IMAG2245_zps19aab563.jpg

Any insight, assistance and/or guidance would be very much appreciated.

I should note that I did contact the supplier for assistance and was basically told, "how ever you can get it to work and not leak is fine". Yeah, well, thanks for that.

First, it's OK to be frustrated. Even the best engineers in the world have coolers that leak on first set-up.

That o-ring looks HUGE compared to what I've been using. Consider a smaller diameter O-ring. If necessary, find one that has a square cross-section rather than round.

Do not over-tighten!

I had to use an o-ring and a washer plus the cooler's original o-ring in order to seal mine correctly.

When I built my system I had a few leaks. What I learned was that I was over tightening the pieces together. When the gasket is over compressed, it is not able to seal. Hand tighten everything, then MAYBE a 1/4 turn with a wrench, if that is even necessary.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I agree with you about the washer, however, when tightened, the smaller washer squeezed into the hole instead of sealing it.

First, it's OK to be frustrated. Even the best engineers in the world have coolers that leak on first set-up.

That o-ring looks HUGE compared to what I've been using. Consider a smaller diameter O-ring. If necessary, find one that has a square cross-section rather than round.

Do not over-tighten!

I'm pleased to report that I managed to get all three on, tightened and properly sealed. All past my initial leak test.

I'm not sure if it was because I took a "timeout" to come inside from the heat and post my problem or if it was because I told myself I could NOT have a cold beer until I got them all done.

Mercifully, the beer came quickly once I went back out to the shed and gave it another try.

In typical fashion for me, I have leftover pieces. But who cares? They don't leak.

Thanks all the for help. Much appreciated.

Cold beer ALWAYS helps when working on brewing equipment.

Back