Adding bulkhead to stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closet Fermenter

Bottle in front of me over frontal lobotomy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a portless Chapman stainless steel fermenter that I purchased a number of years ago. At the time, I didn’t see the need for a valve that would require more effort to sanitize and would add additional costs to the purchase. Now that I am doing closed transfers, I am wanting to add a valve.

I spoke to one brewer who recommended using a knock-out punch for the hole and adding a weldless bulkhead, but had no opinion on how far up from the bottom. I have a batch in the fermenter now, so I could measure the sludge depth afterwards for a clue.
I figured someone here must have done this before and can advise.
Thanks for any help.

An important detail on valve location is found inside the kettle: make sure to measure the installed "height" of the dip tube you'll want on the inside of the ball valve. It most likely will set the minimum elevation of the valve. You'll want a few eighth inches minimum clearance from the tip of the dip tube to the kettle bottom.

As for how to make a hole: I use a Greenlee punch that results in a 13/16" finished hole diameter, which is typically the minimum opening for 1/2" bulkheads and makes gasketting easier than 7/8". But some use carbide tipped hole saws, others use step bits, so there are lots of ways to make a hole :)

Just remember to use plenty of cutting oil and stop spinning the bit and let it cool down if you see smoke lest you work-harden the hole and ruin the bit...

[edit] I would not set the valve height based on expected trub level as that will significantly impair the versatility of the kettle. You should be able to rotate a dip tube to avoid the expected trub if desired without compromising the utility of the kettle...

Cheers!

I wouldn't put a bulkhead and valve on your fermenter unless you're prepared to remove it and boil it for every batch.
It’s not a sure thing yet, and the sanitation issue is the biggest reason I didn’t go with it to start with. Also, I recently acquired an old 10 gallon ball lock keg that will have plenty of headspace and handle pressure for closed transfers, and maybe a little more wort.
I appreciate the advice.

Latest posts

Back