Reasonable Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyTX

Reaction score
4.5 lbs extra light DME
1 lb Crystal 15L
.5 lbs Cara Pils
.5 lbs Crystal 40L
.5 lb Rye Malt

.5 oz Citra @60 min
.5 oz Citra @ 15 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min

.5 oz Coriander 60 min
.5 oz Grapefruit zest 5 min
1.5 tsp Seeds of Paradise at 15 min (or so)

Will steep around 155 for 45-1 hr.

Going for pale ale to be eaten with spicy food.

Thanks

That's quite a bit of Crystal malts for a pale ale. I do tend to like mine a little on the dryer side and hop forward, so the farthest I'll venture with Crystal is 1 lb total. If you want more of a malt character though, I'd keep it the same, but nix the cara pils. I'd save the spices for the last 5 minutes, and probably drop them down a little. IMHO, if you can pick out a spice in the finished beer, you've used too much. .25 oz is probably as much as I'll use of one single spice in a beer. Some people like a more prominent spice character, it really depends on the individual. Aside from that, looks good.

You'll need some yeast. An aggressive strain like Nottingham or Chico would do a pretty good job of chomping down all that crystal.

I'm not a fan of spices in beer, so I'll leave that to those who know about using them.

You've got too much crystal malt in that recipe. I'd ditch the carapils, and keep no more than 1 pound crystal malt total.

Thanks for the input! I will adjust accordingly and definitely move the spice time down to the very end.. Probably nix the coriander- Just go with the grapefruit and SoP and drop the amts.

I planned to use 05 yeast for the quick and clean ferment

Latest posts

Back