Really quick fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottedk

Reaction score
So on Sunday I brewed my second batch. I brewed an extract IIPA recipe. The OG was 1.080. I brewed, pitched the yeast (2 slap packs) and let it sit. Within the first 12 hours the airlock was bubbling vigorously up until about 36 hours and then it started dying down. By 72 hours out, the airlock is only bubbling <= 1 time a minute. I took a gravity reading and it was 1.020 (the FG is supposed to be 1.017 or so). I definitely plan on letting it sit longer but I was wondering if it was common for such a vigorous and quick fermentation process, especially in such a decently high OG brew?

Kind of depends on a lot of things like fermentation temps, age and health of yeast, the amount of aeration, etc. I've had some finish pretty quickly...I think 3 days was about the fastest. Two yeast packs is probably about right pitch rate for a higher gravity brew like that, so I'd say it's not unheard of for it to finish that quickly, but I'd do as you mentioned and let it sit for a while longer.

I've had beers finish that quickly. Recently, I had a simple honey ale that was done in less than 3 days. Every fermentation is different. RDWHAHB! :mug:

That seems like it's a bit on the warm side for a lot of ale strains. That would explain it finishing quickly. Which yeast did you use?

2 packs of Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

What are the downsides of fermenting in a warmer vs a cooler environment?

Warmer ferment temps (68+) mean more yeast esters (yeast flavors like apple, banana, clove, etc), and sometimes the feel of a 'thicker' beer... if it ferments TOO warm (75+) you can also get an alcoholic "heat" on the tongue.

Cooler ferment temps for ales (60-68F) will give you a much 'cleaner' beer - you taste the yeast less, and the malt and hops more... less yeast esters. A lot - dare I say most- brewers aim about to 60-65F range with pale ales/ipas - this style is typically not one you want the yeast playing a star role.

Lastly - cooler temps mean longer, slower ferment, but I personally prefer most styles fermented on the lower end.

Oh and I forgot to mention --- ambient temperature is one thing, but the wort inside the carboy/bucket is usually fermenting away at 5-10 degrees ABOVE room temp during first few days of active fermentation... the fermentation process produces its own heat.

I've got a carboy sitting in 54F ambient temps but bubbling away, estimating internal wort temp at about 60F (which is where I want it for a super clean finish).

2 packs of Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

What are the downsides of fermenting in a warmer vs a cooler environment?
Wyeast's site does show a range up to 72F for that strain, so 74 would be a bit warmer than I'd recommend shooting for. Like demuzik said, you'll get more esters and alcohol heat at higher temps.

Ideally you'd have some kind of temp control. It can really depend on style and yeast strain, but I generally shoot for slightly lower than the middle of the strain's temp range. Then I'll step it up a couple degrees towards the end of fermentation. For example, if the range is 60-70F, I'll start out at 64F then ramp it up to 68F over the course of four days.

Back