Really dumb (REALLY) carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david58

Reaction score
How much headspace should there be in a 5 gal carboy with 5 gal of beer in it? I done went and filled my carboy and didn't measure and mark before I did it. Reason I ask is that I might not have 5 gal in there, and enquiring minds want to know....

It depends, carboys aren't all equal, even though they say they are 5 gallons. Just rack to a graduatred bucket comes bottling time and mix the priming sugar afterwards (so you know how much beer to prime). Not ideal, but it'll do.

Also, if you hope to ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallons carboy, use a blowoff tube.

If you have one of the Italian made 5gal carboys the top of the upper ring (the thicker circumferential rings of glass there for strength) seems to be the 5gal mark. Like jfr said, use a blowoff if you're filling it that high. I can only get away with not using one if I ferment in the 60-64F range using Notty.

I wouldn't primary in a 5 gallon carboy, but if you like to secondary, that is what those are ideal for. I'd try and get a 6.5 gallon carboy if you want to primary, 6 will work, but you will probably need a blowoff hose for that (I always use a blowoff hose, cause you never know...)

Back