Re-using yeast from starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I couldn't really find a good answer. I made a 3L starter and saved about 1L in three 12oz mason jars on Wednesday, June 4th. They all look like the one pictured. I'm estimating about 13 or 14mL of yeast in each jar. My question is can I just pitch 2 (maybe 3) of these into my 1.065 wort? MrMalty says 132mL for 5.5gal at default settings. If I do need to make a starter, how do I determine the size of the starter? I still have some time since I'm not brewing until Wednesday. Thanks!

IMG_20140609_174752.jpg

I think you would be underpitching by a lot if you just tossed them in to a wort of that strength. My suggestion would be to make a 1L starter, crash, decant, and upscale to either 2L or another 1L step (if you don't have the glassware).

It's pretty simple, you made a 3L starter to create x amount of cells, you saved roughly 1/3 so divide your initial cell count by 3 and forget about the ml. Then calculate pitch rate for your next batch using your base amount of what you saved and make another starter to build from that:)

Sent from the Commune

Latest posts

Back