Re-using 5 litre stainless kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummerbrew1985

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these? I've kegged up a couple recently and they seem to be good. Tastes like casked ale. Very smooth. Surely this is the way forward for homebrew storage?

Primary - The wife's birthday EPA
Conditioning - APA
Kegged - Centennial/cascade pale ale

Most 5L kegs aren't stainless, they're just steel with a liner. They're typically good for 6-8 uses before things start going bad. They also don't deal well with pressure, so if you're going to carb in them, carb on the lowside.

Once they're open, they're exposed to oxygen so you've got a limited time before they go bad. Not a problem if you go through them quick, though. They are also kind of a pain to clean with the built in spigot, but overall it's a solution. Whether or not it's as much effort as bottling is up to you (1 minikeg vs 12-13 12oz bottles or fewer bombers), but for large volumes a full sized keg is better in the long run.

A lot of guys/gals that do cask ale are using poly pins - something to check into if you're into cask ale!

Most 5L kegs aren't stainless, they're just steel with a liner. They're typically good for 6-8 uses before things start going bad. They also don't deal well with pressure, so if you're going to carb in them, carb on the lowside.

Once they're open, they're exposed to oxygen so you've got a limited time before they go bad. Not a problem if you go through them quick, though. They are also kind of a pain to clean with the built in spigot, but overall it's a solution. Whether or not it's as much effort as bottling is up to you (1 minikeg vs 12-13 12oz bottles or fewer bombers), but for large volumes a full sized keg is better in the long run.

A lot of guys/gals that do cask ale are using poly pins - something to check into if you're into cask ale!

Do you have a retailer for these poly containers you could recommend?

Do you have a retailer for these poly containers you could recommend?

US Plastics carries them - look for Cubitainer, or run a search for Cube Inserts.

They also have the spigots/caps/etc but they're all over, make note of the thread size and use that.

US Plastics carries them - look for Cubitainer, or run a search for Cube Inserts.

They also have the spigots/caps/etc but they're all over, make note of the thread size and use that.

Soooo is the Cubitainer the cardboard box that goes around the Cube Insert??

Yup. That's my understanding of it.

Crazy expensive for a cardboard box with a hole in it, but they're made for it. The Poly cubes go in the boxes, which allows them to collapse as the beer is poured, so no need to backfill with CO2. Also the reason why you can only cask carb in them, and why most folks hook them up to beer engines.

Yup. That's my understanding of it.

Crazy expensive for a cardboard box with a hole in it, but they're made for it. The Poly cubes go in the boxes, which allows them to collapse as the beer is poured, so no need to backfill with CO2. Also the reason why you can only cask carb in them, and why most folks hook them up to beer engines.

I hate to hijack this thread, but can you point me in a direction to learn a bit more about this "cask" style? It is not in any of my brew books... and the search here doesn't bring up very relevant information.

Thanks!

Hi cannman
Cask ale or real ale is the term used for ale which is brewed in such a way that leaves live yeast in the beer for the purposes of conditioning.
In England we have an organisation called CAMRA, if you search for them on google, they better define the style.
My mission is to understand how real ale is matured in casks and try to recreate the process as closely as possible with basic equipment and almost no funds. This is budget home brewing :)
Plus I don't really favour fizzy ale from bottles, when I get a pint from a cask in my local real ale pub it is perfectly conditioned with dissolved co2 but not fizzy just smooth and super tasty. Mmmmm ale thoughts at breakfast time :):)

Conditioning - APA

As Drummerbrew said, "cask" beer is a traditional English way of serving. Traditionally done in a pin/firken I believe, but on a homebrew scale (which you can buy a pin/firken and get the stiles, etc for it and just be one bad, cask-loving mother) a lot of folks are going the polypin route - they're cheap, work fine with low carbination, and don't expose your beer to oxidation (like the real thing) over time.

Make your favorite english beer recipe and ferment as usual. When it comes time to rack over to a keg/bottle, just rack into the polypin and add your isinglass/dryhop as well as a reduced amount of priming sugar - this should be for 1.8 or LESS (pref 1.4 or so). Polypins won't hold high pressure. Over the next week or so, you'll see the polypin swell a little with CO2 and you may need to "burp" the pin, slightly depending on how much pressure is in the pin.

Let it hang out at cellar temps (~50F), and pour when ready.

If you're really fancy or handy, you can make a pseudo beer engine out of an RV water handpump and a sparkler head. There's instructions on the net for how to build it. Definitely adds an authentic touch to the process.

You could also do the same thing with a standard keg, but you'll have to rig up some kind of a lowpressure regulator for the CO2 as you just want to blanket the beer, not push it or carbonate it - the beer carbonates itself!

Do some reading on Cellarmanship and learn to love real ale!

:rockin:

Edit - more than you'd ever want to know about polypins:
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11340

Hi cannman
Cask ale or real ale is the term used for ale which is brewed in such a way that leaves live yeast in the beer for the purposes of conditioning.
In England we have an organisation called CAMRA, if you search for them on google, they better define the style.
My mission is to understand how real ale is matured in casks and try to recreate the process as closely as possible with basic equipment and almost no funds. This is budget home brewing :)
Plus I don't really favour fizzy ale from bottles, when I get a pint from a cask in my local real ale pub it is perfectly conditioned with dissolved co2 but not fizzy just smooth and super tasty. Mmmmm ale thoughts at breakfast time :):)

Conditioning - APA

As Drummerbrew said, "cask" beer is a traditional English way of serving. Traditionally done in a pin/firken I believe, but on a homebrew scale (which you can buy a pin/firken and get the stiles, etc for it and just be one bad, cask-loving mother) a lot of folks are going the polypin route - they're cheap, work fine with low carbination, and don't expose your beer to oxidation (like the real thing) over time.

Make your favorite english beer recipe and ferment as usual. When it comes time to rack over to a keg/bottle, just rack into the polypin and add your isinglass/dryhop as well as a reduced amount of priming sugar - this should be for 1.8 or LESS (pref 1.4 or so). Polypins won't hold high pressure. Over the next week or so, you'll see the polypin swell a little with CO2 and you may need to "burp" the pin, slightly depending on how much pressure is in the pin.

Let it hang out at cellar temps (~50F), and pour when ready.

If you're really fancy or handy, you can make a pseudo beer engine out of an RV water handpump and a sparkler head. There's instructions on the net for how to build it. Definitely adds an authentic touch to the process.

You could also do the same thing with a standard keg, but you'll have to rig up some kind of a lowpressure regulator for the CO2 as you just want to blanket the beer, not push it or carbonate it - the beer carbonates itself!

Do some reading on Cellarmanship and learn to love real ale!

Edit - more than you'd ever want to know about polypins:
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11340

So what exactly or rather WHY exactly would I want to cask. I mean I looks great and I'm ready to order a truck load of those fancy cubes. I just don't quite understand what I'm looking for. What will I tell my drinking buddies for instance: "So this is how beer REALLy should be served." Is this essentially flat wort? What are the advantages? I'm always excited to try something new.

Back to the thread topic - I exclusively keg in 5 liter mini kegs. I have an elaborate tap system around them and it works well for me. I dispense from them on CO2, not from the built-in gravity faucet which I ignore. Properly cared for, they can be reused indefinitely. Also, the idea that they don't hold pressure is a myth. They're rated to over 50 PSI which is plenty for force carbing any cold liquid. They are also free if you like German beer.

I've been meaning to do a big writeup on them but haven't had the time. There was a brief writeup about them on the homepage a couple months back, but it barely scratched the surface (btw - scratching the surface is something you DON'T want to do to these kegs, as they are tin-plated steel and not stainless. A scratch will lead to rust)

Here is an outside shot of my teeny tiny kegerator that I built exclusively for these little guys. It's a small fridge (that's a pound of hops next to it for scale) but holds 3 beers on tap plus a CO2 bottle.

Ask me anything about 5-liter mini-kegs, I've done all the research and I'm happy to answer any questions.

20140202_131943.jpg

On topic - Way cool little kegerator! Interested to see your CO2 push on the 5L kegs, you using that rubber push bung from Midwest as the poppit?

I honestly think that if the 5L kegs were in fact stainless, they'd have a LOT more traction on the HB scene.

Off topic - cask beer is something that should be experienced at least once - you may hate it, you may love it; it's a personal thing. It's nothing like American beer, but it's not supposed to be.

I use these lovely little things called Flexi-Taps. They're made by a German company called Wecomatic (same company that makes the little gray bung that usually seals these)

It looks a little something like this when it's attached to a mini-keg:
22_0_720x600.jpg

It has a dip tube that you poke down through the bung, dropping the white insert into the keg.

Gas goes into the top and beer comes out the little hose. I clipped the black threaded pieces from the hoses and attached barbed QD's instead.

I like them because you can have pretty much unlimited kegged beers on hand, and equipment costs are only needed for the number of beers you want to have on tap at one time.

Chocotaco

Could you post a few pictures of the Co2/valves/ connector/dispensing/ setup please?

They really are worth a thousand words :)

Thanks. Aamcle

Looks like an updated version of the old PartyStar(?) tap system. Nice.

Running it off a Paintball tank with a micro regulator?

Chocotaco

Could you post a few pictures of the Co2/valves/ connector/dispensing/ setup please?

They really are worth a thousand words :)

Thanks. Aamcle

Sure, I will try to take some pics when I get home. It's currently empty and not running (going through a brewing dry spell) but I'll snap some pics anyway.

Looks like an updated version of the old PartyStar(?) tap system. Nice.

Running it off a Paintball tank with a micro regulator?

It is similar to the Party Star, except that it's 1) wayyy cheaper (they were about 25 bucks each vs 70 for the party star) and 2) it connects to real faucets and a real CO2 tank. I'm using a 2.5lb aluminum tank and normal MicroMatic regulator, though I've thought about either moving that outside of the fridge or switching to a smaller bottle so I could fit 4-5 mini-kegs in there instead of 2-3.

They are great for home brew and the occasional off-the-shelf mini-keg of commercial beer (many German beer options, Kostritzer is my favorite; Bell's occasionally releases mini-kegs of Oberon and HopSlam, and Rogue puts out Yellow Snow IPA in mini-kegs every winter. BIG difference in the mini-kegged Yellow Snow vs the bottles)

I have also asked several breweries in the area if they would fill the mini-kegs for me like growlers. Stone said no (after much deliberation). Artifex, a new brewery in my town, said maybe. Just have to get around to bringing them an empty one so they can decide.

Much better pricing!

That was always one of my beefs with the Party Star - way too expensive for what it was and I wasn't a fan of the plastic spear for the tank. Does the Flexi-tap have metal spear or is it plastic as well? Looks like standard beer thread for the attachment points? Sorry to ask all the questions, one of the reasons I never bothered chasing down the 5L kegs were due to the lack of options for dispensing, or a totally homemade piece together solution that cost more than the PartyStar. It's nice to see an affordable option for 5L kegs!

No worries man, happy to answer questions.

The flexi-tap is all food-grade plastic. That said, it's pretty durable so I don't mind. A metal one would be significantly more expensive, and at that point you might as well just get mini-cornies.

It comes in a 5/8" thread and a 3/4" thread. Both are BSPP threads. They will include tailpieces if you want, but if you get the 5/8" version then standard tailpieces will work. The gas side includes a check valve so you can disconnect the gas without losing CO2. The beer side is not valved, so it would have to remain connected to a faucet unless you put a valved QD on there like I did. I just snipped of the plastic threaded piece and installed a Colder APC series valved coupling insert with a 1/4" barb. Works like a treat.

I have most of a pretty big writeup on these. I had always meant to take some pictures and shoot some video and then post it as an article, but I sort of lost my motivation when someone else beat me to the punch (although I consider my article to be much more in-depth).

I'll post the writeup here without the extra pics or video; if people really want me to finish it then I'll try to make the time.

(Apologies if the formatting of this is weird, I wrote it in Markdown format and had to convert to BBCode)

What are mini-kegs?
===================
Mini-kegs (MKs) are large, coated steel cans with a five liter (1.32 gallon) nominal capaticy. They are manufactured by Ball for the European market. The specifications can be found here: http://www.ball.com/product-catalog/view/beverage-cans/5-litre-party-barrel/

They are rated for pressures of up to 4 bar (around 58 PSI), but in practice they shouldn't exceed around 35 PSI for maximum reusability.

Many German imports are available off-the-shelf in 5 liter mini-kegs, which are reusable. The mini-kegs of Heineken and Newcastle that you see in the grocery store are not reusable as they are pressurized with an internal CO2 cartridge and regulator device. They do not have a bung closure; instead, they are sealed and can only be opened by cutting. Some American microbreweries like Bell's, Rogue, and Widmer have also started distributing select beers in (reusable) MK form - hopefully this will be a trend!

Why would I use mini-kegs instead of Cornelius kegs?
====================================================
I love MKs for the following reasons:
1. I make small batches
2. I don't drink a whole lot of beer, and I don't want 5 gallons of beer sitting around for months and spoiling while I slowly chip away at it
3. I can drink a variety of beer and change it often
4. They are extremely portable and easy to fit in any fridge or cooler
5. They are cheap (free if you reuse the ones you got beer in!)

In short, they are perfect for me, and they might be for you too! Or they might not.

Will I save money by using mini-kegs?
=====================================
The short answer is: not a lot, but some. If you are considering mini-kegs just to cut costs, you'll likely be disappointed.

If you brew normal five gallon batches, you won't save anything. It takes four mini-kegs to keg a five gallon batch, and for the price of four new mini-kegs you could get a used five gallon Cornelius keg and likely be happier.

Small batch brewing is where mini-kegs shine. If you brew one- or 2.5-gallon batches, and currently bottle them, mini-kegging may be for you. A small 2.5- or three-gallon cornelius keg is difficult to find used, and new they can range from $70-120. A one-gallon batch will fit in a single $12 mini-keg, and a 2.5- or 3-gallon batch will typically fit in two of them (with perhaps a few bottles worth left over). That is already a savings.

However, to have a draft system, you will still have to invest in:
1. A CO2 cylinder
2. A CO2 regulator
3. A CO2 manifold
4. Gas and dispensing hardware

These make up the bulk of the startup cost for any kegging system. However, if you ever decide to upgrade from mini-kegging to regular kegging, these components can all be brought over to the corny keg system! So rest assured that you won't really be wasting any money on starting with mini-kegs.

In addition to the common draft hardware, you'll also need a mechanism to tap the mini-kegs. We'll get into that later on.

Types of mini-kegs and closures
===============================
There are actually several different varieties of mini-kegs.

I've already mentioned the common reusable mini-keg.

168_0_285x255.jpg

These come with several different type of closures.

The reusable closure is made of gray rubber, with a white plastic insert. These are manufactured by Wecomatic GmbH, a German company. Two different inserts are available, Hermetic and Hermetic PS. The Hermetic PS gives you a better seal due to the wide, solid disc; the ones you get from homebrew shops are usually the regular Hermetic inserts which are hollow plastic with a small ring on the inside

19_0_285x255.jpg
18_0_720x600.jpg

When you buy a mini-keg of German beer, look for the gray bung. That tells you it's reusable. Also, a bonus is that these kegs are usually sealed with the Hermetic PS insert, which is otherwise difficult to obtain in the U.S. Kostritzer Schwarzbier and Bitburger Pils both use these.

There are two types of non-reusable closures (at least I consider them to be non-reusable). These are made of black plastic or rubber and a plastic tab. These are designed primarily to be used with the included gravity tap.

plastic-mini-keg-vent-bung.jpg

Turning the tab opens a valve which allows air into the keg to facilitate gravity dispensing. These closures are a craps-shoot, because there are two kinds which look very similar. The three-piece variety allows you to remove the plastic tab and then tap the keg much like the reusable bung. But there's another variety that's two piece and cannot be tapped because the black bung is solid. These bungs have to be completely removed and replaced with a Wecomatic bung in order to tap the keg. Yellow Snow had these last year, although Rogue told me they would look into changing that for this year's release.

Of course, we also have the non-reusable beertender kegs.

miniKeg.jpg

These aren't reusable. Don't buy unless you like Heineken or Newcastle and don't care about reusing the keg.

In addition, there are some variations on the reusable mini-keg.

Huber Packaging, GmbH makes a reusable mini-keg that also has a integrated CO2 cartridge. It's called easyKEG. I've only ever seen this in the U.S. holding Cuvee de Trolls. It's very expensive. These could be useful for re-use - if you drink the Cuvee de Trolls at home, and leave the built-in CO2 intact, you could use it later to dispense homebrew on-the-go without having to bring a CO2 bottle. Unlike the Beertender kegs, these are sealed with a bung and the CO2 cartridge is built into the top of the keg. There is a plastic tab on the top which is used to control the release of CO2 into the beer.

(Insert top-view photo of easyKEG)

There is also a variation of the mini-keg that does not have the integrated gravity tap. This would be ideal for homebrew, because it would clean up much more readily than the available ones. Sadly, I've never seen these in the US.

Dispensing from mini-kegs
=========================
Most reusable mini-kegs include a gravity tap that you can pull out from the bottom. Ignore this unless you plan on drinking all ten pints in a few hours.

Also popular is the Party-Star tap that takes a CO2 cartridge and dispenses from a spout in a similar fashion to the Heineken mini-kegs. This is great for taking a MK to a party, but it's useless if you want to have a real draft system built around MKs.

If you scour the web, many people have compiled instructions for building a MK tap that connects to a draft system. Perhaps I am exceptionally bad at building things, but I wasted a lot of effort on buying and returning parts before I gave up on building my own. For not much more money than it takes in parts to build these, you can actually buy a pre-made device from a German company called Wecomatic. They are also the ones who manufacture the resuable bungs that you see on many off-the-shelf MKs as well as the homebrew models. The product is called the Flexi-Tap. I bought the 5/8" version with a 4mm nozzle (seals to 3/16" beer line with a tight clamp) and a 10mm nozzle (seals to 5/16" CO2 line). I got four of these to make the shipping from Germany worth my while, which does add a considerable expense to the system. Please note that if you buy this you might have to switch the nozzles around (I guess in Germany they use big beer lines and small gas lines). But, the system is for my office so I was able to expense it (YMMV) and I figure this is a one-time investment like faucets and hardware. Once you have the taps, you can just connect them up to the draft system like you would any other hose-barbed device. Later, I ditched the beer nozzle and installed valved quick-disconnects instead. I also installed a quick-disconnect on the gas side, but a cheaper non-valved one will server here due to the Flexi-Tap's built in check valve on the gas side.

(Insert photo of Flexi-Tap with QDs)

To tap a keg, just stab the dip tube into the white insert in the bung. The insert will drop into the keg. Continue pushing the dip tube all the way to the bottom of the keg and click the retention hooks onto the rim of the keg. That's all there is to it!

(Insert video of tapping mini-keg)

Sometimes you will get a little bubbling from the interface between dip tube and bung. Push down the tap some more and wiggle it a bit and this should seal it up.

Some off-the-shelf kegs of commercial beer have a different bung with a pull-tab to let in air (when using the gravity tap). Gently pull the tab off of the bung and there should be another piece underneath. This piece can be stabbed into the keg just like the white insert on the homebrew bungs. If you are unable to stab the bung, you might have one of the solid two-piece bungs. In that case, you have to remove the bung and replace it with a Wecomatic bung.

(Insert video of tapping 3-piece bung)

Force carbonating mini-kegs
===========================
The main reason I wanted to get into kegging is that I hate bottle conditioning. I hate waiting, I hate the uncertainty and I've just had bad experiences with flat beer (oh, back in the closet for another couples of weeks I guess!). With a keg system, you can force carbonate your beer quickly, and mini-kegs are no exception! These things will easily take 20 PSI which is all you need to get your beer carbonated overnight.

All you need is an extra reusable bung (these are under a buck) and a 1/2" to 3/8" hose barb adapter (these are around a quarter at US plastics: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23253&catid=465) for each mini-keg that you want to force carb.

(Insert video of mini-keg force carbonating)

1. Purge the mini-keg with CO2 and fill with COLD finished beer (I like to rack under CO2 using an orange carboy cap - it makes this incredibly easy with little to no O2 exposure)
2. Remove the white insert from one of your bungs and seat it in the keg opening
3. Attach the 3/8" end of the hose barb adapter to a gas line and connect to your system (make sure the gas is OFF!).
4. Plug the 1/2" end into the hole in the rubber bung. Jam it down in there.
5. Turn your reg all the way down and turn the gas on. Slowly increase the reg pressure to 13-14 PSI (depending how carbonated you want your beer) and make a note of the adjuster position at this pressure. Then slowly increase to around 20 PSI. The barb should stay sealed in the bung with no leakage. Verify this with some star-san spray.
6. Pick up each keg and shake it vigorously for 60 seconds. You will hear and feel the gas moving into the beer. The temperature of the keg will also feel like it is dropping significantly.
7. Turn the regulator adjustment screw back to the position for 13-14 PSI. The pressure gauge will not move because the kegs are already pressurized to 20 PSI. Shake each keg for a few more seconds and the gauge should drop. Verify a good seal again.
8. Leave them at 13-14 PSI overnight and in the morning you should have perfectly carbonated beer!

You can also set-and-forget at 13-14 PSI for a few weeks if that's what you prefer (or if you want to serve some kegs and carbonate others without a dual body regulator)

Once you're done carbonating, turn off the gas to the keg and pull out the adaptor. Quickly pull out the bung and replace it with a complete, sanitized two-piece bung (with the insert plugging the hole).

If you don't mind tying up one of your flexi-taps for a few days or a week, you can also just put the flexi-tap in there and carbonate using that, assuming your beer out has been valved.

Cleaning mini-kegs
==================
In theory, a good soak in PBW or OxyClean followed by a thorough rinse and sanitizer spray should be sufficient. But I find that a gentle scrub with a MK brush (available from most online HBSs for a couple bucks) is a must to get them really clean. I don't bother with the gravity spout at all (I wish I could get them without!), but if you have ever opened it then you should drain some cleaner and sanitizer through it to make sure there's no nasties hiding in there. I have heard you can even pull the entire spout assembly out and replace it with a second bung to make cleaning easier, but I haven't ever done that.

(Insert video of mini-keg cleaning)

Make sure you recover the insert from the mini-keg during cleaning. It usually falls out during rinsing, but if it doesn't it can be tricky to recover.

Other concerns
==============
Mini-kegs are tin-plated steel, not stainless. This means that if you don't treat them carefully, you could end up scratching off the tin plating and exposing the steel underneath. The steel will quickly rust if this happens. So be gentle.

(Insert photo of rusty scratches)

If you ruin a mini-keg, don't dispair. A free mini-keg is only ten pints of delicious Kostritzer away!

Make sure you ask your favorite local brewery if they are willing and legally able to fill a mini-keg with your favorite beer in growler fashion. Most will say no, but sometimes you'll strike gold.

Nice work on that article, Chocotaco - I'd seriously finish it up and submit it again, regardless if someone "beat you to the punch". I remember the other article, and I feel that this one would be a great addition as well as provide a new insight into 5L kegs.

A refresher as it were.

That NB thread was one of my first attempts at going the 5L keg route, but that ended up poorly (and as already mentioned - expensive for a homemade solution).

I like the Flexi-Tap solution, would be nice to see someone state-side carrying it, ala Midwest/NB/AIH - there is a lot of potential for the 5L keg system, it just needs some support (or at least a few more vendors to supply components).

Heck I might just pick up a minikeg of Oberon just from all this discussion, and I don't even need it. :mug:

Nice work on that article, Chocotaco - I'd seriously finish it up and submit it again, regardless if someone "beat you to the punch". I remember the other article, and I feel that this one would be a great addition as well as provide a new insight into 5L kegs.

Thanks! I'll think about that.

That NB thread was one of my first attempts at going the 5L keg route, but that ended up poorly (and as already mentioned - expensive for a homemade solution).

Yeah, that was my experience as well.

I like the Flexi-Tap solution, would be nice to see someone state-side carrying it, ala Midwest/NB/AIH - there is a lot of potential for the 5L keg system, it just needs some support (or at least a few more vendors to supply components).

I seriously considered importing them in bulk, fixing them up for easy homebrew application, and selling them along with other mini-keg related gear. But I don't have the time, money, business acumen, or any idea whether there is a real market... you get the idea. I did suggest to Wecomatic that they should sell the flexi-tap with ball lock QDs pre-installed. They said they would consider it but I doubt they did.

Heck I might just pick up a minikeg of Oberon just from all this discussion, and I don't even need it. :mug:
:mad: Darn you. I wish it was that easy to get Oberon mini-kegs here. Supposedly they get them in San Diego, but I don't even know when they're in season since I won't ever see them on the shelf near me. I traded someone a bunch of CA beers for an Oberon mini-keg one time and it was awesome.

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you fine people.
What I have found is that these mini kegs are a bit more delicate than I first thought so,
I primary then rack to pressure barrel and prime a couple of points from my FG, after conditioning and pressurising, I cold crash for a week and what I have is the homebrew equivalent of bright beer.
I decant this bright beer into my mini kegs a couple of hours before I want up drink it so it can warm up from super chilled to serving temp.
It means less risk if contamination and very crisp tasting carbed beer coz as it warms up, some of the dissolved co2 escapes the beer and pressurises the mini keg.
DONE

Conditioning - APA

I scanned back over this thread and I think they have limited usage because:
• they are tin plated steel NOT stainless and scratch very easily
• they may have a food grade plastic insert which can degrade over time and lead to contamination.

I also believe that if these kegd were stainless and designed a little better
Kindof like a 1 gallon cornelius keg then they would be super popular with home brewers. I can tell you that I would be investing in a dozen or so if that was the case.

Conditioning - APA

I scanned back over this thread and I think they have limited usage because:
• they are tin plated steel NOT stainless and scratch very easily
• they may have a food grade plastic insert which can degrade over time and lead to contamination.

I also believe that if these kegd were stainless and designed a little better
Kindof like a 1 gallon cornelius keg then they would be super popular with home brewers. I can tell you that I would be investing in a dozen or so if that was the case.

Conditioning - APA

They do scratch easily, but if you treat them right there's no limitation on re-use. Just like you have to treat glass bottles right if you want to reuse them.

The plastic liner is not a concern - again, if you treat the kegs right.

1-gallon corny kegs do exist, but cost 5-10 times as much. You might as well go 2.5- or 3- gallon for the price.

Back