Re-starting or kick starting yeast and re-adding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
OK. Never did this before but figured I'd give it a shot since its only 6 Gallons.
In the past I've had some problems with stuck fermentation on a higher gravity ( 12 lbs of LME 6 G ) so I figured try something.

I waited til most of the initial high paced fermentation was over to the eye, that was about a week well 5 days but I waited 7d.

I then siphoned out some 'beer' and added a bit of water then added some corn sugar and boiled this mixture for 15. Let cool then siphoned off some of the bottom and stirred it in and am in process of letting it sit overnight in hopes of increasing the yeast cells then pouring it back into the carboy.
Is this a BAD idea? or will it do ANYthing to help? Mistake? Good idea?
If I do it shall I siphon off beer now and secondary now? Normally I would wait another week before secondary.
My idea on siphoning now rather than later is it is still fairly active but subsided enough where it is fairly clear and yeast,etc. on bottom.
IF this even accomplishes anything would it cause more yeast flavor? I am also going to dry hop and secondary for 10 days.
Thanks.

OK. Never did this before but figured I'd give it a shot since its only 6 Gallons.
In the past I've had some problems with stuck fermentation on a higher gravity ( 12 lbs of LME 6 G ) so I figured try something.

I waited til most of the initial high paced fermentation was over to the eye, that was about a week well 5 days but I waited 7d.

I then siphoned out some 'beer' and added a bit of water then added some corn sugar and boiled this mixture for 15. Let cool then siphoned off some of the bottom and stirred it in and am in process of letting it sit overnight in hopes of increasing the yeast cells then pouring it back into the carboy.

I don't think you will increase the yeast cell count this way. The boiling would have killed the suspended yeast remaining in the beer.

If I do it shall I siphon off beer now and secondary now? Normally I would wait another week before secondary.
My idea on siphoning now rather than later is it is still fairly active but subsided enough where it is fairly clear and yeast,etc. on bottom.

Racking to secondary should not be done until fermentation is complete. No fermentation should be expected in a secondary clearing/additions vessel.

IF this even accomplishes anything would it cause more yeast flavor? I am also going to dry hop and secondary for 10 days.
Thanks.

Have you tried leaving your big beers in the primary four to five weeks for the yeast to finish the fermentation? Extra time in the primary will also give the yeast time to clean up the naturally produced off flavors of the fermentation process.

Thanks.

Mistake. I don't think it will help you. You need to wait three weeks from now then check gravity. Consider dry hopping in primary and just wait and bottle it right out of primary. Any time you rack, you lose. Any time you dig into your beer without really needing to, ask yourself

Why am I doing this?

Back