Re: Oxygenating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robholly

Reaction score
My question is, is it safe to oxygenate a beer again after it has been fermenting for a few days ?????? I have heard that this can be done on day 2 or 3 but I have nevr done this and I am at day 5.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.

Once your fermentation has begun, you don't want to introduce additional oxygen. The only reason for the oxygen in the first place is to assist the yeast during their growth phase. Once they have finished the growth phase, they no longer require the oxygen.

He's right. Leave it alone. You will oxidize it if you do. Why are you thinking about doing it? If your worried about attenuation, you can warm it up a little (5f)for the last couple of days.

May depend on beer. I've heard this suggested for extremely big (barleywine) beers to help reduce stalling later...but otherwise I'd say hell no don't do that.

Yeah... think you missed your window, here.

If you want to add more healthy cells to the mix, you could crop some yeast (or, just get another vial) and make a starter. But I'd try warming it up a bit and rousing the yeast (sloshing the beer around a bit inside the sealed fermentor to get the yeast back into suspension) first, depending on your OG, that should get you down to an acceptable FG no problem.

Back