Re-circulation Effect On Wort Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabitu

Reaction score
I always hear that BIAB can lead to a cloudy wort. I know that recirculating helps maintain mash temps, but can it also help clarify the wort?

Sure, If you're talking about recirculating the mash, it can make the wort clear because it is essentially filtering it. It will become very clear, especially if you use a pump and let it go for 10 minutes.

I've been recirculating for the whole mash time. I don't really pay attention to clarity too much at this point in the process. The beer looks clear in the bottle to me, so it's all good.

In my experience, recirculation during mashing definitely leads to a much clearer wort due to the filtration by the grain bed. However, this is completely negated when the bag is squeezed to recover all of the sweet wort left in that grain bed. No worries, as all of this settles out as trub in the fermenter.

I have noticed that you can get nice clear wort without recirculating also... my first BIAB I did not recirc, did not secondary, still had nice clear wort. The key is having a solid whirlpool to get a majority of the trub in the cone when draining your wort. I did this using a whirlpool arm and my pump. Let the leftover trub settle in the carboy/ fermenter and dont be impatient. When transferring into your bottling bucket/keg make sure your auto siphon is off the yeast cake.

+1 on using a solid whirlpool and giving the trub plenty of time to settle. I don't use a whirlpool arm/pump, just a big spoon and stir for several minutes after cooling the wort. Then I cover it and let it sit for 30 minutes before transferring from the BK. I also use whirlfloc, and these techniques always lead to crystal clear beer.

Anecdotally, I'll also say that changing my immersion wort chiller to use a recirculating ice bath via a pump has helped create a better trub cone. Perhaps the increased cooling and lower wort temp helps more solids drop out of suspension during the whirlpool.

Finally, I remember reading on HBT that haze in finished beer may have something to do with inadequate water treatment in some cases.

Good luck!
Steve

Back