Raspberry Pints number of taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmo4040

Reaction score
Does anyone know the number of taps the raspberry pints supports?
Thanks

Eight meters for sure using GPIO 2 and 5-11, those I have used successfully.
Possibly one or two more using GPIO 12 and 13, haven't tried those...

Cheers!

Eight meters for sure using GPIO 2 and 5-11, those I have used successfully.
Possibly one or two more using GPIO 12 and 13, haven't tried those...

Cheers!

How many will show on the screen as well?

Thanks

How many meters do you actually need?

The number of flow meters is wholly dependent on the number of usable GPIO pins.
Some of those pins are dedicated to functions like the serial port, TOY clock, etc, and can't be used for a flow meter.

Anyway, 8, 10 or 12, unless you use some bizarre browser incapable of zoom, they'll all fit.
Perhaps not optimally, depending on screen orientation.
For instance, once you get past 6 taps, portrait mode is advisable.
And at some point screen size becomes significant - 12 beers on a tablet will be an eye test, not a tap list...

Cheers!

I was planning on a 10 or 12 tap system, but did not know how many pins where available for flow meters and or if there was a software limitation on the number of kegs you could list. I was planning on using a large computer monitor in the portrait direction.

Using an Alamode shield as documented on the raspberrypints.com pages, 12 would be a big stretch, as there are only 14 GPIO, 0 & 1 are used for the serial port, and I had trouble using GPIO4.

However, the Alamode shield has a number of features that connect to various GPIO pins. If you used a Arduino Uno R3 instead, afaik the only GPIO pins used would be 0 & 1, leaving 2-13 available...

Cheers!

Using an Alamode shield as documented on the raspberrypints.com pages, 12 would be a big stretch, as there are only 14 GPIO, 0 & 1 are used for the serial port, and I had trouble using GPIO4.

However, the Alamode shield has a number of features that connect to various GPIO pins. If you used a Arduino Uno R3 instead, afaik the only GPIO pins used would be 0 & 1, leaving 2-13 available...

Cheers!

Thanks! Do you know if there are any software limitations to the number of taps?

None known.

The authors had planned expansion onto a Centipede shield which would have increased the number of taps to as many as 64.
Sadly that never came to fruition...

Cheers!

Back