Raspberries in a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHagne

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have brewed a 8L Berliner Weisse batch.
Brew date: March 10th
500g Pilsner malt
500g Wheat malt
Mash In - 65C for 60min
Mash Out - 75C for 10min
Kettle soured with Lacto. Plantarum
OG 1029 FG 1008
Fermentation: Mangrove Jacks M36 for now 10days

I am now going to add thawed raspberries (900g) to the primary fermenter. I now havr two options because i’m going away on friday and will be gone for 10days. My options are therefore as follows:

1. Add raspberries now and bottle on friday before i’m going away.
2. Add raspberries on friday and bottle after 10days.

I have read some places, one of them being How to Brew, that one should not have a beer in a primary fermenter for more than 3 weeks. If i do option 2 totalt time in fermenter will be 3 weeks and 3 days.

All helo is much appreciated. Also pros/cons for each option considering raspberry flavor, off flavors, color, etc

Do you have another vessel? I would add the berries to another vessel (keg or fermenter) and leave it there for 3 weeks. You can remove to old yeast cake and allow plenty of time for refermentation.

The only time I secondary is when adding fruit. If you have the vessel I would put the berries into the second fermenter then rack on top of them Rasperries are done when they turn white which is anywhere from 5-7 days in my experience. Im sure they would be fine sitting for 10 though.

They do tend to form a cap and can mold so I wouldn't go too much longer.

Thanks guys, i got a bit impatient and tossed it in the primary. Not gonna leave it there for more than 4 days and worst case it will be a learning experience. FIY all other fermenters availiable have other batches in them. Danger of small batch brewing!

This is the color after 8hrs in the primary. ‘Almost too’ much raspberry flavor, will test again this afternoon and see if 36hrs is enough.
IMG_1634.JPG

Latest posts

Back