Rasberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quam

Reaction score
Okay,Ive looked through the forum and only found instructions for rasberry-chocolate port.My friend has a large and productive rasberry bush and wants to make rasberry wine.Is this a good idea and if so,does anyone have a recipe i can follow? If its not a good idea how about a rasberry type "cider" drink?Again if so does anyone have a recipe? Please understand that my home brewing experience is still limited to apple cider and I have no experience with wine except for a nasty quick ferment grape wine(which wasn't really wine).
Please share your knowedge with me.:)

P.S. Ive found an easy and cheap source of brew buckets just ask the deli in a grocery store for them and drill them yourself(the ones I got are 4gal. ones used to store pickles so they needed deodorizing but work great.)

Okay,Ive looked through the forum and only found instructions for rasberry-chocolate port.My friend has a large and productive rasberry bush and wants to make rasberry wine.Is this a good idea and if so,does anyone have a recipe i can follow? If its not a good idea how about a rasberry type "cider" drink?Again if so does anyone have a recipe? Please understand that my home brewing experience is still limited to apple cider and I have no experience with wine except for a nasty quick ferment grape wine(which wasn't really wine).
Please share your knowedge with me.:)

P.S. Ive found an easy and cheap source of brew buckets just ask the deli in a grocery store for them and drill them yourself(the ones I got are 4gal. ones used to store pickles so they needed deodorizing but work great.)

Raspberry wine is pretty easy.

Remember that the buckets work great for primary, but for secondary, you want to reduce headspace so need a carboy. For one gallon batches, Carlo Rossi wine jugs work great- you just need a #6 stopper and airlock. You can buy a three gallon carboy, or a five gallon carboy, etc.

Here are a few recipes from Jack Keller's awesome website: winemaking: Red Raspberry Wine

Thank you Yooper.

About the wine recipes on that site how much will the make on the given recipe and what size carboy should I use for the secondary rack (the part that involves topping off with water).
Also,I might not be able to get all the needed substances to make this due to lack of funds in time so is there a cider type recipe that I could try in case of that happening?This is all based on how long I can keep the raspberries(they're ripe now).If I cant get the needed components before they rot is there anything I could do with just dextrose the raspberries and some yeast?If so what would be the best yeast?

Thank you Yooper.

About the wine recipes on that site how much will the make on the given recipe and what size carboy should I use for the secondary rack (the part that involves topping off with water).
Also,I might not be able to get all the needed substances to make this due to lack of funds in time so is there a cider type recipe that I could try in case of that happening?This is all based on how long I can keep the raspberries(they're ripe now).If I cant get the needed components before they rot is there anything I could do with just dextrose the raspberries and some yeast?If so what would be the best yeast?

Those are one gallon size recipes. You'd need a one gallon sized jug. When you rack, you siphon the wine quietly, so it doesn't splash, and then top up with water or wine to reduce headspace.

You can freeze the berries and use them whenever you want. You don't need much- berries, water, sugar, yeast. It's just better if you add the other ingredients. Kind of like spaghetti sauce- tomatoes alone will work. But it'll be better if you use some seasoning.

If just want to make some wine-ish drink, you could buy Welch's 100% juices that come frozen in cans, and make it with that. I have a recipe for Welch's 100% grape juice, so you could just sub apple/raspberry juice and throw in the raspberries. I have never done that, so I don't know how it would come out for sure, but I assume it'd be good. Jack Keller has some recipes for frozen juices, too, that you might like.

Back