Rant= NO YOU Don't need to know!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
Why is it that everyone at work feels the need to find out every friggin detail
of my life?

You have kids. God Bless. I don't. I don't care to know about your kids every
waking moment in detail.

You are married. I'm not. I really don't care about your ****ty marriage.

Your broke. Sorry, but you are doing something wrong. Figure it out. Fix it.

Yes I quit. Yes, they invited me back. TWICE.

Why did I come back? Unless you're F#$&^%$ me, or paying my bills, you don't need to know.

Is anyone else frustrated with thefact that because you work with people, they feel the need to know every intimate detail of your life?

Personally, I don't give a rat's a$$ about you. Feel better? Just trying to do my part.
nana.gif

Yeah, some folks are so locked into their meager existence that they feel everyone else is dying to know what their cat hocked up last night.

Sad.

Not that I don't care, but I don't get nosy and I find it odd that folks will ask WAY PERSONAL questions when they barely know me. I often wondered if it was a sexist thing, so your post heartens me a bit.

For instance, just this week, a person who I rarely work with was asking me when I would be having children. I looked her dead in the eye and told her that not every childless couple is that way by choice. I gave it a minute to sink in. To her credit, she did have the good sense to be embarrassed.

Geez.

I like when I'm at work at a time when I'm not typically there, and like ten people come up to me and say, "Oh, what are you doing here?" Well, I'm certainly not here for my health. I would guess that I'm here cause I have to do some "work." Seriously, worry about your own life.

Television news has made people feel they have the right to know everything about everything.

Amen. What gets me is how offended people get when you tell them "I really dont like disclosing all ther perosnal details of my life at work".

I'm sure it has to do with a dissatisfaction they have, or feeling a lack of nourishment through communication. It's a way they reach out, it's very interesting when they do. The ones that I could see as bothersome are the ones who have the same issue when they talk to you every time. They possess no self-validation, which is why they bounce thoughts off you. This inability to feel validated by their own decisions means they feel incomplete as people maybe.
They simply may view others as a big-brother figure, or just want friends but don't have the will to take the steps.

Do any of the people who talk to, bring up the same topic over and over again? "I swear I just wanna, but ya know..." they have a problem but are making excuses to avoid the inconvenience of reality.

Anyways, if you are annoyed by them you could simply not fight the fact they exist. :rockin:

Yup! it annoys me too! A woman at work does it all the time, especially on a Monday. "So, what did you do this weekend?"....I always dismiss it with answer something to the effect of "Not much" She probably thinks I live an extremely dull life of doing almost nothing day in, day out......And then she bores me into s stupor about all the boring crap SHE did!.....Which always turns out to be a lot more dull than "Not much" I sometimes feel that I would like to drill a hole in her head with her stapler.

Maybe you could find something interesting to do with a hole puncher and paper clips.

Wow, you guys are harsh. Seems to me your co-workers are just being friendly and looking for a harmless conversation starter. I ask people all the time what they have planned for the weekend. Most of them don't spit on me.

Seems to be a bit different in IT. I doubt if most of the people I worked with knew if I was married or not. Conversations about anything other than work were extremely rare at my last five jobs. Except motorcycles and lunch.

man you guys must live some sad mean little lives if you get pissed at the little old lady in the next cubicle telling you what her cats ate for dinner last nite.;)

course i get along with the people i work with(for the most part), and even spend some time out of work with some of them so maybe i'm the oddball here:D

I think it's because we're a small group of specialized guys that makes us buddies by default. I'm known as the beer snob, but not in a bad way. All the guys I work with know that they can come by, shoot a game, and sample as much homebrew as they can carry home in their bellies. We help each other out.

Co-Worker: "What did you do over the weekend?"
Me: "Got so drunk I could barely see straight, roughed up a few homeless people, and drowned a puppy just for the heck of it."
Co-Worker: "Remind me to never talk to you again."

Works every time.
*hypothetically speaking of course*

Why is it that everyone at work feels the need to find out every friggin detail
of my life?

You have kids. God Bless. I don't. I don't care to know about your kids every
waking moment in detail.

You are married. I'm not. I really don't care about your ****ty marriage.

Your broke. Sorry, but you are doing something wrong. Figure it out. Fix it.

Yes I quit. Yes, they invited me back. TWICE.

Why did I come back? Unless you're F#$&^%$ me, or paying my bills, you don't need to know.

Is anyone else frustrated with thefact that because you work with people, they feel the need to know every intimate detail of your life?

You certainly don't want anyone to to show any workplace courtesy, hopefully they will still care when you're choking or hurt

Okay, FTW! :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2KR8UgaJ_w]YouTube - Office Jerk[/ame]

I must have come off as a real jerk. Yes, i was a bit druck.

I work at a mortgage company. #1/#2 in sales every month. Won the trip. Took the cash instead.

I am polite, but still don't go to work to make friends. I got hired in Oct, and left in may, and during that time at lleast 65 people passed thru the doors. 10
people I trained left. That cost me money.
If I am not talking into the phone, I'm not making money.
That's why I don't get involved with people at work.

I must have come off as a real jerk. Yes, i was a bit druck.

I work at a mortgage company. #1/#2 in sales every month. Won the trip. Took the cash instead.

I am polite, but still don't go to work to make friends. I got hired in Oct, and left in may, and during that time at lleast 65 people passed thru the doors. 10
people I trained left. That cost me money.
If I am not talking into the phone, I'm not making money.
That's why I don't get involved with people at work.

I understand. I don't become friends with people at work, but I do the usual social interactions just to make the workplace a less stressful environment

I think the real issue at hand is social awareness. Some people lack the skills to determine when someone doesn't really want to talk, and they keep prying away. I like to think I'm pretty aware of my surroundings. If I punch in for the day and ask a co-worker "How's it going?" and get nothing more than a grunt and a nod, I leave it at that. If someone wants to talk more, I'm game.

Back