Rant/Brew-poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
It seems I've been sitting on this forum all day, every day for the past 2-3 months and 80% of my brain is filled with noting but homebrew speak/technique etc. Now that I'm back in school/around people, I find myself talking wayyyy too much about beer and brewing, almost like it's the only conversation I can hold. Instead of giving people simple answers, I end up going off for 10 minutes on something that's over everyone's head around me. Kind of sucks, I feel like some kind of brew-nerd. On the plus side, I've gotten 4 people into homebrewing.

Anyway, I'm going home next weekend and I've got 6 recipes waiting for me (all of them AG). Which one/two should I brew:
1) Robust Porter (own recipe)
2) Edwort Haus Pale Ale
3) Two-hearted Ale
4) Dreadnaught IIPA
5) Arrogant Bastard
6) Nyarlathotep IIPA (own recipe, haven't made it yet)

Which one do you wish you had a glass of in your hand right now? Brew that one... and if you had two in mind, brew those :D

I have the same brew talk all the time issue... hard to keep giving the impression that I am a brewing enthusiast and not a problem drinker... in order to keep the second at bay I remind myself of my Nan's story of her alcoholic brother that tried making home brew and drank it all before it made it out of the primary... since I think that is disgusting I know I am not too bad...

:mug:

My wife complains that all I talk about is brewing these days too, don't worry you're not alone!

I agree, brew which one you would grab if you went to the fridge right now. Personally though, I think I'd brew 2 and 6.

And yes, I'm pretty sure a few of my friends have completely quit listening to anything I say because it's always about brewing.

Me: "I think they use Cascade in this beer. Definitely dry hopped to get that much aroma. I wonder what malts they used... What do you think?"
Them: "Yeah man, exactly."

I have the same brew talk all the time issue... hard to keep giving the impression that I am a brewing enthusiast and not a problem drinker... in order to keep the second at bay I remind myself of my Nan's story of her alcoholic brother that tried making home brew and drank it all before it made it out of the primary... since I think that is disgusting I know I am not too bad...

Oh my god :confused:

Me: "I think they use Cascade in this beer. Definitely dry hopped to get that much aroma. I wonder what malts they used... What do you think?"
Them: "Yeah man, exactly."

Hahaha, been there.

I'll have to think about which I want to brew. I'm kind of impartial right now. Though I'm pretty sure I'm going to brew one of the IIPA's. Maybe I'll keep it simple and make the Haus Pale ale because I know the IIPA won't be ready to drink for quite some time.

Maybe I'll keep it simple and make the Haus Pale ale because I know the IIPA won't be ready to drink for quite some time.

I like that idea. I was going to suggest you brew one that is done fairly quickly, and one that needs time to condition (either in the primary, secondary or bottle). That way you have the quick-satisfaction of whatever finishes quickly, but still have something to test out down the road.

It seems I've been sitting on this forum all day, every day for the past 2-3 months and 80% of my brain is filled with noting but homebrew speak/technique etc. Now that I'm back in school/around people, I find myself talking wayyyy too much about beer and brewing, almost like it's the only conversation I can hold. Instead of giving people simple answers, I end up going off for 10 minutes on something that's over everyone's head around me. Kind of sucks, I feel like some kind of brew-nerd. On the plus side, I've gotten 4 people into homebrewing.

Anyway, I'm going home next weekend and I've got 6 recipes waiting for me (all of them AG). Which one/two should I brew:
1) Robust Porter (own recipe)
2) Edwort Haus Pale Ale
3) Two-hearted Ale
4) Dreadnaught IIPA
5) Arrogant Bastard
6) Nyarlathotep IIPA (own recipe, haven't made it yet)

Continue to talk about all of the in-depth details of brewing.
The more they know the less likely they will be to waste your beers.
On what to brew...Brew them all ! I would like to grab a glass of any one of those right now.

Continue to talk about all of the in-depth details of brewing.
The more they know the less likely they will be to waste your beers.
On what to brew...Brew them all ! I would like to grab a glass of any one of those right now.

Haha, I've got all the ingredients for them all but I am only going to be able to make 2 at the most over the weekend. I get back late Friday and leave early on Sunday. Going to try for one Friday night and one Saturday morning. I still have a lot to do when I get home Friday (e.g. bottle an oatmeal stout, rack to secondary, clean stuff, etc.) so I may try to do them both on Saturday. My life is pretty much consumed by brewing and school.

Haha, I've got all the ingredients for them all but I am only going to be able to make 2 at the most over the weekend. I get back late Friday and leave early on Sunday. Going to try for one Friday night and one Saturday morning. I still have a lot to do when I get home Friday (e.g. bottle an oatmeal stout, rack to secondary, clean stuff, etc.) so I may try to do them both on Saturday. My life is pretty much consumed by brewing and school.

I've been toying around with the idea of a 24 hour brew session where I brew 6 beers in a day. You should do that and let me know how it goes. :mug:

I've been toying around with the idea of a 24 hour brew session where I brew 6 beers in a day. You should do that and let me know how it goes. :mug:

I don't have enough equipment to do 6. 1 AG batch takes me about 7-8 hours (including cleaning). I'd only be able to do 3 at most lol.

Going to assume this was re:my alchy uncle drinking the brew from the primary...

this is how I felt... I mean I have heard a lot of these stories, and I taste my brew at all stages, but really? It isn't like the store stopped selling beer... morons...

lol, yeah. I only tasted my sample(s).

+1 for not being able to stop talking about brewing. I had a handful of friends over to my place to watch/help me with an all-grain batch a couple of months ago in the hopes that at least one of them would decide they want to start brewing too. That way I would finally have a friend who'd actually be interested in talking about brewing for more than 30 seconds :) It didn't work, unfortunately.

Back