Ranking of states by beer... interesting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been to Portland yet. However my trip to Santa Rosa was amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm honestly surprised KY made it as high as it did (which admittedly still isn't very high). Aside from a handful of breweries in Lexington and Louisville, the rest of the state doesn't have much going on, and distribution is fairly limited at that. Makes me sad for those behind us.

Was surprised to see the Oklahoma ranking. Figured we'd be at the bottom of the list. Have seen Prairie Artisinal on the shelves but have passed them up. Will have to taste what all the fuss is about.

If you live in Oklahoma and haven't tried prairie...you're doing beer wrong.

You should visit...then you'd know.

I should just delete my original post, I was being hyperbolic and joking :(

As I said above if I was going to move out of Wisconsin, I would pick Portland/surrounding suburbs of Portland as where I would want to move to for a myriad number of reasons including the delicious beer. Just home-town syndrome that I think Wisconsin shouldve at least been in the top 5 (not in any way suggesting Wisconsin is better than Oregon).

Hell, I want to move there just so anytime I say Oregon the natives will say to me "You must be from Wisconsin" (cause of my 'accent', aka midwestern, the only language anyone can understand).

As I said above if I was going to move out of Wisconsin, I would pick Portland/surrounding suburbs of Portland as where I would want to move to for a myriad number of reasons including the delicious beer. Just home-town syndrome that I think Wisconsin shouldve at least been in the top 5 (not in any way suggesting Wisconsin is better than Oregon).

Hell, I want to move there just so anytime I say Oregon the natives will say to me "You must be from Wisconsin" (cause of my 'accent', aka midwestern, the only language anyone can understand).

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I came from IA and nobody ever called me on the accent!

You'll feel right at home at my absolute favorite watering hole: http://www.saraveza.com

I'm honestly surprised KY made it as high as it did (which admittedly still isn't very high). Aside from a handful of breweries in Lexington and Louisville, the rest of the state doesn't have much going on, and distribution is fairly limited at that. Makes me sad for those behind us.
Aside from Lexington, Louisville and the Newport area, Kentucky doesn't have a lot going on period.:D With that said, I would sure like to see the brothers at the Trappist abbey at Gethsemani make some beer, but I guess they are too busy with the super yummy fudge and cheese.

I hate the Oregon Ducks, but I love Oregon beer! I've been an Oregonian for my entire life. Its beautiful (coast, mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers, high deserts, etc., all in about an hour's drive) and the beer is fantastic. From the small Belgian Farmhouse "Agrarian" to the big boys like Rogue, Ninkasi, etc. Hop Valley has been growing and makes great beer. I am planning to open a brewery here in June 2016 and can't wait to be a part of the brewing scene.

Although, I don't have a beard, so I plan to change that stereotype :mug:

ArkotRamathorn... we forgive you brother. Come on out here and we'll show you what's up. I get that you didn't mean it. Cheers.

Oh, and I agree with the article that Salem sucks... pretty much a carp hole. I love the line in Anchorman 2. "I've travelled out of the country 3 times. Twice to Mexico, and once to Salem, Oregon." (not an exact quote... gonna watch that now actually)

I saw this.

As a Maryland resident, I'm going to disagree with this. :) We've got some damn good breweries here.

They discuss Flying Dog, which is good stuff...don't get me wrong. However, we've got Burley Oak, Clipper City, The Brewer's Art, Baltimore-Washington Beer Works, Peabody, Fin City, Heavy Seas, Monocacy Brewing, DuClaw...

Maryland is getting some good stuff.

Virginia is also getting a Stone down in Norfolk/Va Beach area.

Also Union, Milkhouse at Stillpoint, Brewer's Alley, Barley & Hops, and the amazing beers from Frey's.

Hey, let's face it. The story is opinion and any list like this is going to invite debate as well as page hits.
Most everybody is going to argue that their state is the best.
I'm biased being an Oregonian, and I'll admit it. I will say, though, that if you haven't visited Portland and Bend, you shouldn't be arguing against Oregon as being high ranked on the list. The beer and beer culture is amazing. Tons of good/great breweries (52 at last count) and tons of beer bars in a city with about half a million, and 70+ breweries in the 2 million metro Portland area and a at least 13 solid breweries in Bend with 80,000 population makes for a lot of good beer.

Aside from Lexington, Louisville and the Newport area, Kentucky doesn't have a lot going on period.:D With that said, I would sure like to see the brothers at the Trappist abbey at Gethsemani make some beer, but I guess they are too busy with the super yummy fudge and cheese.

That'd be so awesome...I wish they would!

Most everybody is going to argue that their state is the best.

I don't think *most* people would argue that, unless they are delusional. There are a handful of states that are known craft beer Meccas, and anybody from a different state would be hard pressed to argue how their state could be "better" than all of them in this regard.

Texas has come a *long* way in the craft beer scene over the past 2 decades. We now have tons of great breweries in the state, including several nationally renowned ones (jester king, st Arnold, deep ellum, etc). Hell, my little town now has 3 breweries by itself, and probably a dozen within a short driving distance. I wouldn't even begin to argue that my state is the BEST... Though I might argue we should be a little but higher on the list. :p

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I hate the Oregon Ducks, but I love Oregon beer! I've been an Oregonian for my entire life. Its beautiful (coast, mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers, high deserts, etc., all in about an hour's drive) and the beer is fantastic. From the small Belgian Farmhouse "Agrarian" to the big boys like Rogue, Ninkasi, etc. Hop Valley has been growing and makes great beer. I am planning to open a brewery here in June 2016 and can't wait to be a part of the brewing scene.

Although, I don't have a beard, so I plan to change that stereotype :mug:

Hey, by then used equipment should be really cheap! ;)

I'd like to know where DC is on that list. Tons of great breweries in the District.

I saw this.

As a Maryland resident, I'm going to disagree with this. :) We've got some damn good breweries here.

They discuss Flying Dog, which is good stuff...don't get me wrong. However, we've got Burley Oak, Clipper City, The Brewer's Art, Baltimore-Washington Beer Works, Peabody, Fin City, Heavy Seas, Monocacy Brewing, DuClaw...

Maryland is getting some good stuff.

Virginia is also getting a Stone down in Norfolk/Va Beach area.

I second that one. DuClaw = the bees knees.

This article is stupid. I've never had a good beer from Christian Moerlin. Where is Jackie Os, Columbus Brewing Co, & Brew Kettle??

How could they forget Anheiser :)

This article is stupid. I've never had a good beer from Christian Moerlin. Where is Jackie Os, Columbus Brewing Co, & Brew Kettle??

How could they forget Anheiser :)

Try their Emancipator doppelbock, Barbarossa, or Christkindl winter ale if you haven't already. Those are probably my favorites. OTR Ale used to be good, but I feel like they fooled around with the hop schedule a couple years in and messed it up.

Hey, by then used equipment should be really cheap! ;)

Right? Hopefully the fad won't be over when I open. I like what the head brewer from Boneyard said when a reporter asked him when the "craft beer thing" will be over. He said something to the tone of."I don't know, go ask the owner of Starbucks when the coffee thing is going to be over." I think there will be a solid market for beer for a while. Now if prohibition came back...

Right? Hopefully the fad won't be over when I open. I like what the head brewer from Boneyard said when a reporter asked him when the "craft beer thing" will be over. He said something to the tone of."I don't know, go ask the owner of Starbucks when the coffee thing is going to be over." I think there will be a solid market for beer for a while. Now if prohibition came back...

It's not just the market...that will be there. But here in the Eugene area we've had So many breweries open, many of which are mediocre at best. Why would anyone buy mediocre beer when there are so many other choices? I know there are several I avoid because I don't want to waste my money on them when I have so many better choices.

I know what you mean! I will actually be located in the Corvallis/Albany area. There are some breweries there, and same story as with Eugene. I will make better beer... ok, well, the customer will decide that. :mug:

I know what you mean! I will actually be located in the Corvallis/Albany area. There are some breweries there, and same story as with Eugene. I will make better beer... ok, well, the customer will decide that. :mug:

Unfortunately, quality of beer is only a small part of the puzzle. Making good beer is easy...selling it is hard. FWIW, I live as close to Corvallis as I do to Eugene. Lemme know when you open and I'll drop in!

Unfortunately, quality of beer is only a small part of the puzzle. Making good beer is easy...selling it is hard. FWIW, I live as close to Corvallis as I do to Eugene. Lemme know when you open and I'll drop in!

Will do! It would be an honor and a privilege. I live about half way as well (Harrisburg)

Back