Ranger IPA smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
For those of you who have had Ranger IPA, the hops smell on that beer is incredible. I'd like to brew up an IPA that has that kind of punch you in the face hop smell to it, but I'm not sure if it would come from dry hopping, or adding a massive amount of aroma hops in the last minute of the boil. Any suggestions?

You will need to whirlpool and dry hop to get the best aroma. Thats usually what I do on the IPA's

What does the whirlpool have to do with the hopping?

The whirlpool is an option, that is when you put your hops in at flame out and stir it up or use a pump to create a spiral flow of wort in the kettle. You can use a spoon or something as well. It helps to get the hops in solution and as they give off their lupulin and absorb wort they will settle in the middle of the kettle.

Then after 30 min or so, cool the wort, transfer to the fermenter, pitch yeast, profit.

Back