Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forget which bar this is in, but our ship's plaque is hanging somewhere in Key West

I don't remember it at all, only that it was the very last time I ever drank tequila

any knowledge I have of the events of the evening I only learned from eyewitness accounts

14938347_10209573359363374_8062588161967602764_n.jpg

Last edited:
Another day, another aircraft in the yard. This time a helicopter.
View attachment 770860
Same pilot (“Uncle” Scott, not really my daughter’s kids uncle, but they call him that) landed to pick up our grandson to take him to a fly-in breakfast at an airport about 50 miles SW of here.

didn't notice the helicopter much, BUT DAMN! the immersion chiller caught my eye!

Put on a pair of shorts while in Florida. Filled with red ants (fire ants maybe they were called). That happened. No ferrets.
I was driving from California to Oklahoma and pulled over in eastern New Mexico. Crawled into my sleeping bag in the back seat for a nap. Turns out I had parked on a fire ant hill because I woke up with my sleeping bag full of them. I have no idea how they coordinated getting in place before biting all at the same time. We have red ants in California but fire ants are a whole other level of evil!

Red Imported Fire Ants - Orange County Mosquito and Vector Control District

I was driving from California to Oklahoma and pulled over in eastern New Mexico. Crawled into my sleeping bag in the back seat for a nap. Turns out I had parked on a fire ant hill because I woke up with my sleeping bag full of them. I have no idea how they coordinated getting in place before biting all at the same time. We have red ants in California but fire ants are a whole other level of evil!

Red Imported Fire Ants - Orange County Mosquito and Vector Control District
I can attest to this.... Lived in TX for a whlle and those little bastages do exactly that.... they'll all get on you, and then one of them releases some kind of pheremone or something that says "ATTACK!" Those things are nasty!

I have no idea how they coordinated getting in place before biting all at the same time.
It's weird isn't it? Maybe some pheromone communication?

I experienced it back in my college days in east Texas. Felt a tickling sensation on my left leg, and looked down in horror to see it covered in fire ants. They all bit me at the same instant before I could do anything.

I was driving from California to Oklahoma and pulled over in eastern New Mexico. Crawled into my sleeping bag in the back seat for a nap. Turns out I had parked on a fire ant hill because I woke up with my sleeping bag full of them. I have no idea how they coordinated getting in place before biting all at the same time. We have red ants in California but fire ants are a whole other level of evil
Now that's a horror story. Mine was small potatoes since I had a shower twenty feet away.
Preemptive strike. Vengeful, angry little dudes.

I experienced it back in my college days in east Texas. Felt a tickling sensation on my left leg, and looked down in horror to see it covered in fire ants. They all bit me at the same instant before I could do anything.
I'm currently residing in East Texas and have fire ant bites on both wrists, from two separate incidents.

I believe it is pheromone communication. Others in the insect class hymenoptera also do this, that is why if you ever get stung by a wasp , bee or hornet, you've really got to get away from the nest because the first one that stings you "tags" you with a pheromone that says you're an enemy.

I like before and afters. Seeing Detroit at different stages is neat (not a nature thing but it is a "before" and "after") and I find myself looking at images for a long time.
Same here...find a familiar building or landmark and seeing how much has changed...or like my small Georgia hometown...things still the same other than the cars are different.

Same here...find a familiar building or landmark and seeing how much has changed...or like my small Georgia hometown...things still the same other than the cars are different.
Isn't it crazy? Detroit is well-documented so lots of fun looking. Scenes of everybody in suits, hats and the women in dresses from way, way back but there'll be a building that you can drive by today.

What are you? This little fella is walking around on the back deck

Attachments

• 53B6DA1B-409B-4DDC-AF1A-9527B663A9F3.jpeg
    53B6DA1B-409B-4DDC-AF1A-9527B663A9F3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D46AF63-786C-45C1-9A4E-F6B0666CC5F0.jpeg
    6D46AF63-786C-45C1-9A4E-F6B0666CC5F0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • C9BEBE10-B71B-4FB4-9253-F264453AF5D0.jpeg
    C9BEBE10-B71B-4FB4-9253-F264453AF5D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back