Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a dose of brain bleach...

FB_IMG_1551766739397.jpeg

I don’t imagine that many Americans have ever experienced seeing a bald eagle in the wild. Luckily I’m fortunate enough that they migrate through the area and nest not far from my home. I get to see several every week and they are some of the most awesome birds.

View attachment 615989

They're not uncommon in my area, either. Impressive birds.

My favorite bald eagle joke; if you're easily offended, don't read further.

A man is arrested for eating a bald eagle, a protected species. He's hauled before the local judge, who finds him guilty and assesses a sizable fine as punishment.

After the verdict is read, the judge motions the defendent to come before him, who then does. The judge leans forward and in a barely audible voice asks, "Forgive me, but I'm curious; what does bald eagle taste like?"

The defendent replies "Well, it's hard to describe, but it's a bit heartier than Spotted Owl...."

I’ve seen a male and a female nested together fishing on the PA/OH border this past fall. It’s an incredible thing to see!
Now that image from AK is just amazing!

If you've never seen one in the world, go to Homer, Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. They're like seagulls elsewhere.
View attachment 615999
I spent one summer at Excursion Inlet, near Juneau, which borders Glacier Bay National Park. That was my first time seeing bald eagles and they were everywhere!

We also had black bears roaming the camp nearly 24/7. One morning I had gotten off work at 3am and was headed back to the bunkhouse when I heard a crash behind me. My head jerked around just in time to see a black bear break through the brush on one side of the path and into the brush on the other side, all close enough that I could have reached out and touched him. That is probably the fastest my heart has ever beat!
bear2.JPG
bear1.JPG

data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNobYs3sItYn7ha7BH65Zh4KSlTvs0g90ygMuN-!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNobYs3sItYn7ha7BH65Zh4KSlTvs0g90ygMuN-%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i1137!8i640!4m5!3m4!1s0x5401091261c68c8d:0x298d737fc7ac874a!8m2!3d58.4173411!4d-135.4439802

Last edited:
And that is why one should always carry sufficient firepower when hiking in grizzly country, 454 Casull comes to mind

A bear that size, you better have the front sight filed off so it’ll hurt less when the bear shoves it up your rear. Not saying it’s not a huge gun, but for a bear that big, you’re going to want a rifle chambered in .375 H&H.

Not starting a debate, rather more like the Masshole thread, where it’s said tongue in cheek. Please fire back so to speak.

I don’t imagine that many Americans have ever experienced seeing a bald eagle in the wild. Luckily I’m fortunate enough that they migrate through the area and nest not far from my home. I get to see several every week and they are some of the most awesome birds.

View attachment 615989

I don't have any pictures of them...too much awe every time I see them...but there is a country butcher nearby who puts carcasses out for wildlife and so the Bald Eagles congregate in the area for the winter. I have regularly seen 8-12 at a time hanging out and the closest I have been to one I came upon driving down the road who had pulled a whitetail carcass to within 10ft of the road and was just sitting on top of it going to town.

A bear that size, you better have the front sight filed off so it’ll hurt less when the bear shoves it up your rear. Not saying it’s not a huge gun, but for a bear that big, you’re going to want a rifle chambered in .375 H&H.

Not starting a debate, rather more like the Masshole thread, where it’s said tongue in cheek. Please fire back so to speak.
There's a lot of intellectual debate in that Masshole thread. I've been close enough to a couple of grizzilies to be able to say Id like a safe safe distance.

As far as birds: being chased by a golden eagle as kid I'd have to put that at the top of my list Discuss.

Last edited:
As big of a pain in the ass this winter has been, I have to say Minneapolis and our suburbs know how to handle snow.
Can't say that about many other major cities.
Another 12" on the way Sat.

View attachment 616117

I'm in the north 'burbs, and can attest to that. Our city has been very good at keeping the snow clear, and being fair about how evenly they distribute the piles among the yards on our cul-de-sac. Still, we have 5-6 foot snow berms along both sides. Officially ~21" on the ground, and driving down the street is like driving in a trench with sides higher than line of sight. Pulling onto busy streets is a little dicey. Not looking forward to another foot this weekend, especially since they are saying it will be a foot of wet snow. Grrrr...:mad:

I'm in the north 'burbs, and can attest to that. Our city has been very good at keeping the snow clear, and being fair about how evenly they distribute the piles among the yards on our cul-de-sac. Still, we have 5-6 foot snow berms along both sides. Officially ~21" on the ground, and driving down the street is like driving in a trench with sides higher than line of sight. Pulling onto busy streets is a little dicey. Not looking forward to another foot this weekend, especially since they are saying it will be a foot of wet snow. Grrrr...:mad:
Y'all need to come down south! Had an insane amount of coldness last night... 24°! Lol

Actually had some accumulation of snow (1st in a couple of years) also...
IMG_20190305_070620164.jpeg

My driveway is atrocious.
Fortunately, my roof is not that bad, no need for the roof rake!
I'm 54 and can't remember this much snow in a long while.
'91 comes to mind mostly.

Back