Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of "hold muh beer"

Do the kids these days still do this?

I mean... I never did this *wink wink*, was just wondering if it was still done

the first winter I lived in Atlanta, we had a big snowstorm that shut the city down

& by "big snowstorm" it was about 5 inches over 3 days, but would melt a little during the day, refreeze overnight.

I remember seeing 2 MARTA buses at the bottom of a huge hill on Buford Hwy.

of course, WE knew how to drive in that ****. only cars on the road were mine (learned to drive in NJ & NoVA) & my roommates' (from Hollywood, MD)

with a bunch of rednecks hanging off the back & sides.

View attachment 837626

That was a pretty common winter pastime in the suburb of Detroit I lived in in the '70s. We called it "skitching". Did that a couple of times, but even as an adolescent I realized it was pretty stupid thing to do, what with all the pot holes in the roads around my neighborhood.

1704068867436.jpeg

I just read on Wikipedia that the collective noun for these animals is a "squadron".
See, I learned something this year, and just in time!

And I'll bet that they'd be really tasty after a stint in a smoker.
This appears to be a family squadron, papa, pregnant mama, and teenage piggies. It was the teenage one that followed me around, finally making me nervous that I would come out of my shop and startle him. Several times I caught him looking through the garage door. I'd yell and he'd run off but he'd come right back.

This appears to be a family squadron, papa, pregnant mama, and teenage piggies. It was the teenage one that followed me around, finally making me nervous that I would come out of my shop and startle him. Several times I caught him looking through the garage door. I'd yell and he'd run off but he'd come right back.
Are they dangerous?

Are they dangerous?
If there are babies in the squadron, they will be very protective. If you're out with a dog they apparently associate dogs with coyotes and will chase the dog. But normally they are extremely shy, they flee as soon as I open the door, and they don't come back for a while. That's what was so bizarre about their behavior Saturday.

If there are babies in the squadron, they will be very protective. If you're out with a dog they apparently associate dogs with coyotes and will chase the dog. But normally they are extremely shy, they flee as soon as I open the door, and they don't come back for a while. That's what was so bizarre about their behavior Saturday.
What normally happens with your spent grain? Maybe they've just figured out where their randomly-appearing sweet snack comes from?

What normally happens with your spent grain? Maybe they've just figured out where their randomly-appearing sweet snack comes from?
It goes into a composte bin they can't get into. It's made of pallets screwed together on edge (4' by 4', 4' high) with a pallet on top. Nothing but mice and rats ever get into the compost bin.

View attachment 837894
These 3 javelinas spent 2 hours with me yesterday. I'm trying to clean up my workshop and they hung around watching me. Even after I went inside they hung out at the water trough or on the patio. They were very curious about what I was doing, especially the adolescent one.
Are they the same thing as peccary?

The new computer I've been building now sports an IPS screen atop the processor water pump. It's programmed to display the CPU and GPU package temperatures while picking up the "mural" motif in the outer RGB ring, like this:

1704316404634.png

but it can also display gifs! Like my youngest grandkiddies celebrating the New Year!
That'll definitely score some points with my youngest DIL šŸ˜

Ain't technology amazing! What a time to be alive! šŸ˜‰

Cheers!

Ah, the memories. I actually think we learned to use slide rules in 10th grade chemistry. Maybe.

View attachment 838269
Those scales look linear. Someone who doesn't really know anything about slide rules designed a T-shirt.

Brew on :mug:

Those scales look linear. Someone who doesn't really know anything about slide rules designed a T-shirt.

Brew on :mug:
Well, nuts. It was a good idea, slide rules, adding logarithms equaling multiplication, but another fine idea dumbed down for the t shirt mega industrial complex. I was gonna pic my grandfather's but I fear <choke> that the second of the two "once in a lifetime" basement floods finally took it. There is nothing like the horror of realizing you can no longer find that "thing" you held onto for so long. <sigh>
It looked like this
1704483467644.png

I came across the slide rule my dad used at Columbia in the early '40s, and that I used at the University of Denver in the early '70s....and that my oldest son took to school for "show and tell" in the 80s to show how old his dad was šŸ˜

The beams and slider are in good condition, but oxidation has ravaged the plastic parts of the cursor to where it's literally crumbling. It's accompanied by a circular slide rule that my dad's engineering company would hand out at customer meetings...

slide_rule.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back