Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've sent me to YouTube to rewatch my favorite electrical engineer with a unibrow explain capacitors. I don't mind and I was kind of right but it's a dialectric between the two plates. If you hook it up backwards it will explode though.

my favorite electrical engineer with a unibrow

i know that guy, my uni brow seems to be filling out in my ears first though....

like i said it's like a diode with a savings account...

but my understanding...a diode only lets positivly charged electrons flow one way....but a cap is similar to a dam, it hold back SOME postive electrons, but if need arises can release the flood waters....AND get my damn A/C fan spinning! so that even if i don't 'type' cool, i'll feel cool! 🤣

what's worse then the flow of electrons, this damn thing keeps running even as a heater when the fan doesn't spin!

Yeah that sucks man! I'm up here not too far from Canada and it hasn't heated up enough to pull the ACs out yet. Hell, I wear a jacket when I'm leaving for work most days

i don't know but electrons enter 'excited' it says hey man you got spunk, think i'll save you for a big war....then when something demonds a punk to teach them a lesson, it realeses the brats on it fast and swift? which is why caps have this direction of spunk on them? when they get tired they just go to the ground?

View attachment 770162

you want the spunky electrons going in, then they flow to the people that need an ass kicking? then well you need to figure out how to put spunk back in them? NOW THAT IS a drunken thought.....!!!

where is this spunk? i mean i know about organic chemistry a bit, i know about atoms stuff.....but what is the 'spunk'? sub atomic? elctronic i guess..... 🤣
There are polarized and non-polarized capacitors. In general the polarized ones are "electrolytic" capacitors, which means the dielectric film in the capacitors is an anodic film (like the coating formed on anodized aluminum.) If the + & - are reversed on an electrolytic capacitor, the dielectric film breaks down, and the capacitor fails (sometimes as a confetti generator.)

The capacitance of a capacitor is given by C = ϵ0 * d * A / t, where ϵ0 is the "permittivity" of vacuum, d is the relative permittivity of the dielectric separating the two capacitor electrodes (ratio to ϵ0), A is the area of the electrodes, and t is the thickness of the dielectric.

Electrolytic capacitors get high capacitance by having high A and very low t. Non-polarized capacitors employ very high d dielectrics, and have lower A and higher t.

Brew on :mug:

by C = ϵ0 * d * A / t, where ϵ0 is

i was about to say "that's not a drunken random thought" until i saw that. but i think i'd grade you a... wait for it

1653801834543.png

and no i don't understand it....i just know my two friend's were there joules, and henry.....

and on a more serious note so capacitance is diferent then Ah in a battery though right? a cap in a circuit is when you need a minute man, for a quicky...but doesn't have staying power but can hit it hard?

edit: what i'm thinking this fan needs a cap because going from 0-2 takes like more watts then the circuit would handle, but once it's spinning centrifical force means it doesn't take as much? so just a quick boost availble to get it started then it's on cruise...

kinda like i have to rev the engine to get my car moving in first or reverse...but barley feather the pedal at 55 mph in 5th.....

Last edited:
You have piqued my curiosity sir, what kind of backhoe does $3-5K buy these days?

Long ago, I did spend less than $2K for a backhoe attachment, exactly like in video below, was in package deal with a Bobcat 732 skid steer. The attachment even had the same rust patina as in video, and matched the tractor that way. Had to replace all the hoses and rebuild the spool when I first got it.

But got to love those pre joystick rigs, since the first backhoe I ran was a 70's Case CK, was not a problem for me.

I guess the above sentence is similar to the computer dudes reminiscing about BASIC, or that movie, Tron, or something.

And for that I apologize.

watching the first half of the final season of Ozark & thinking, "if Ruth is so smart, why doesn't she buy a backhoe?"

edit: what i'm thinking this fan needs a cap because going from 0-2 takes like more watts then the circuit would handle, but once it's spinning centrifical force means it doesn't take as much? so just a quick boost availble to get it started then it's on cruise...

kinda like i have to rev the engine to get my car moving in first or reverse...but barley feather the pedal at 55 mph in 5th.....

On an AC motor the capacitor is used to energize the second phase winding, because a single phase motor would never spin. These capacitors are non-polarized, so I've been derailing this thread for no reason.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mot....-,Run capacitors,while the motor is running.
But I learned something so worth it?

Just wondering, random drunken informal poll:

1. Would you rather retire than have no work at all? ;} actually that makes no sense, but somehow amuses me,,,

2. If one had a good business but was burnt out on it, would you keep one going?

2A, If the only other option was to work for some other idiot probably less competent than self for less money?

3. Move to some place where one knows no you, but has more land? Actually that sounds good, but then again, if one has lived and worked somewhere and has built up a network of friends, other trades people, even customers, that respect you as member of community,,,might be more than one would want to give up. Also likely, I suppose, to be the thing that was given up not missed until gone.
1) I'd retire ... and spend my time in the park like Arte Johnson on Laugh-In in the skit with Ruth Buzzi. Or alternately, the guy who asks "is that your purse? ... nice purse" in the movie Trading Places.

2) If I had a business that I was burnt out on, I'd change things up. I might sell the business, but I certainly wouldn't just shut it down. Goodwill is saleable.

3) absolutely I would move to somewhere that has more land. I'd spend my days making creative "stay out - this means you" signs to post on my larger property.

i was about to say "that's not a drunken random thought" until i saw that. but i think i'd grade you a... wait for it

710808-1653801834543.png

<grabs another beer, sits back down in the extruded Polyethylene Resin chair; rear legs collapse. Realizing being flat on ones back with ones legs still in the seated position is not uncomfortable ... beer not spilled; still thinking of the "combinations of SI units" formula ... realizing I knew a guy named Farad>

Last edited:
It's a good thing this thread exists or I'd have no place to come back to in order to remember what deep thoughts I had when I first posted them.

My last doctor used a chart that showed I (6'2") needed to lose 45 pounds and be 175 in order not to be overweight. I have not seen sub-180 lb since high school, back when the Earth's crust was still molten and shifting. I have since changed doctors. The upside is that there is no longer a laser focus on weight. The downside is a sudden interest in alcohol consumption.

Time to find a new doctor.

why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

well you gave me a new random for the one i lost....

because the first drink you can still keep it together, but as the drinks flow you just start writing more sqwuigly lines and end up with "Z"....or after you wake up trying to understand what the hell this was...

1653947282082.png

So this one might be a TL:dr, and not quite drunken, but it's funny. So I've been wanting a Nintendo switch for a while; my single years were dominated by my old NES and horrible TV, kept me company many nights. My old gameboy color gave up the ghost a few years ago. Only have one game for my ancient N64. And I've got a Wii but it's just not the same. So, I saved my pennies and bought a Switch today. Spent several hours playing SM3 until the husband got home. Note here, he is 8 years younger than me; I grew up with Atari, he grew up with Nintendo. And he misses excitebike. As expected, when he found out about "my" purchase, I lost it for the night. He's happy, dinner is in the oven, and I'll get to play it this week before he gets home from work. The thing I like about the Switch is it can be a handheld or connected to the TV. Right now he's frantically searching on his phone for cheat codes. Yep, I'm a good wife.

wait so general chit chat & drunken rambling, has the fewest threads, but more posts then the people talking about making beer?

A random, but not drunken (I haven't done "drunk" in decades) thought, regarding the proliferation of paywalled web sites impinging on my right as a professional sport team "fan" to enjoy the tears of opposing fans during the finals of a pro league season playoff.

FFS! It's as American as apple pie to revel in the bleatings of losing teams! Yet the SF Chronicle won't let me read articles like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/...arty-sinks-Warriors-in-Game-1-of-17216680.php
or

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/annkillion/article/warriors-celtics-game-2-17216729.php
or

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/warriors-nba-finals-meltdown-17216727.php
That's just poopy!

(Go Celtics! :D)

A random, but not drunken (I haven't done "drunk" in decades) thought, regarding the proliferation of paywalled web sites impinging on my right as a professional sport team "fan" to enjoy the tears of opposing fans during the finals of a pro league season playoff.

FFS! It's as American as apple pie to revel in the bleatings of losing teams! Yet the SF Chronicle won't let me read articles like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/...arty-sinks-Warriors-in-Game-1-of-17216680.php
or

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/annkillion/article/warriors-celtics-game-2-17216729.php
or

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/warriors-nba-finals-meltdown-17216727.php
That's just poopy!

(Go Celtics! :D)
sfgate.com

its their "free" site full of their garbage columnists, "look what we dug out of our archives and made a story out of today" items, stupid listicles, memes, how-tos, and supposedly some actual "news"

it seems like sports is actually covered fairly decently, although i never read sports so thats just a guess.

Quick poll;

Is the saying; "going to hell in a hand basket?" or "going to hell in a bucket?"

the REAL question is how many skips you're supposed to use in "skip, skip'erew"? just so you know when you get to see all your friends again! :mug:

shipmate posted this one over on FB

full disclosure: I was BOTH. most of us were

well, the other guys may have LET the gay motorcycle gang chain them to a wall & licked their nipples

back then it was DADT

287112282_10229273414163737_7220997493115004618_n.jpg

There's a highway to hell
To the edge, yeah
Once a night, you will
Drive yourself there
At the end of the road, you will
Find the answer
Oh, at the end of the road, you will
Drink a beer

OK, admittedly I changed the last two words of verse, but that is how I've heard it for a long time and will continue to hear it that way. Only when I looked it up on the 'puter I realized the lyrics weren't quite as germane, but WTF..

BTW, song is "Hall of mirrors" by the distillers.

Back