Ran out of co2 and beer backed up into manifold: what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Kegged 20 gal this weekend. Chewed through the last of my co2. Causes beer to back into my lines and co2 manifold (but not regulator). Do I need to change all my lines out, scrub the manifold? Or will the 100% co2 keep everything a-okay and prevent growth?

I would take everything apart, clean and sanitize. I wouldn't replace anything unless it's needed, except maybe get some check valves for your manifold. Just soak the lines and manifold in water, then rinse in some Starsan. There's probably not any dried up gunk in there. If so, then replace what's necessary and scrub what you can.

Good price on check valves:

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843680.htm

All of my system is put together with swivel nuts, so is easier to disassemble than a system with barbed connections. Not sure what your system entails.

I believe keeping everything clean is always good practice. I have a bit of OCD though, so take that into account.

:mug:

Clean it all, including the inside of your regulator(s), if you suspect beer got in there!

Don't you use check valves on your gas lines?
Isn't there one on the regulator's outlet valve?

I would definitely take the manifolds apart for a thorough cleanup.
When I took my aluminum manifolds apart, I discovered large blobs of (cutting) grease and metal filings inside. The teflon had also been applied very sparingly (~1.5 turn).

Clean it all, including the inside of your regulator(s), if you suspect beer got in there!

Don't you use check valves on your gas lines?
Isn't there one on the regulator's outlet valve?

No liquid in regulator, only manifold

I would take everything apart, clean and sanitize. I wouldn't replace anything unless it's needed, except maybe get some check valves for your manifold. Just soak the lines and manifold in water, then rinse in some Starsan. There's probably not any dried up gunk in there. If so, then replace what's necessary and scrub what you can.

Good price on check valves:

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843680.htm

All of my system is put together with swivel nuts, so is easier to disassemble than a system with barbed connections. Not sure what your system entails.

I believe keeping everything clean is always good practice. I have a bit of OCD though, so take that into account.

:mug:

My system is a mishmash of stuff having grown into the system.

50# co2 -> regulator -> dual secondary regulator -> 3 way manifold on side A, 3 way + 3 way manifold on side B.

If I had a check valve, would I put it between each secondary regulator or do I buy one for each line?

Yes, they do require the MFL fittings. I have those on all my gas and liquid lines in case I want to change from ball lock to sanke type tap quickly.

How did you get beer in your manifold?? That shouldn't ever happen, even if you run out of co2.

I had that happen a few years ago when I was just getting into kegging. It will eventually need a good cleaning and drying. I think I got away with it for a month before I noticed some crud forming in the lines.

Did you push the gas through the dip tube? Or just overfill the beer in the keg?

You can get check valves online to prevent a back flow.

Back