Ran out of caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justflow1983

Reaction score
I was 7 caps short when I bottled yesterday. The brew had a bit more in it than usual and I knew I was going to cut it close, but I was supposed to have 300 more delivered yesterday. The finally arrived today.

I left the last 7 bottles in a dark(er) corner of my kitchen with aluminium foil tighlty crimped around the tops. I'm going to cap them in about 20 min, should I bother? Everything was fully sanitized, but unfortunately to top it off the bottles are green glass.

The beer is a 1.046 OG wheat beer from extract, and I primed for 4 volumes of CO2 using table sugar.

Cap 'em up. Mark those seven somehow so you can test for any difference later. You'll probably just get a little less carbonation than the rest of them.

I would guess that capping 24 hours late will make little if any difference in the finished beer. Depends on the temp and how active the yeast are, but I would guess if you opened a capped bottle after 24 hours, there would not be much if any Co2 present.

just capped them. All of the bottles had developed Krausen inside, so I'd say they're moving along fine. They're pretty heavily sugared so I'm not worried about them undercarbonating.

Krausen in bottles....? *DUCK AND COVER*

How much sugar did you add to how much beer?

3.8 volumes is pretty high, I'm not sure how much a normal bottle can take.

Edit: looked it up, seems that you should be fine at 3.8. Apparently a normal undamaged bottle should be able to hold 6 volumes.

I'll repeat a manta frequently stated on this forum: "It's hard to ruin beer." I'd have just sanitized the caps and thrown them on there when they arrived. And I bet those bottles will be fine.

I meant the bottles themselves, that they can hold the pressure. I capped them a day late, but they were kept covered so I'm pretty confident the beer inside will be fine. :mug:

Latest posts

Back