Rambutan Mead with a Lychee Option...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Floyd

Reaction score
So I intended to make a Lychee Mead but apparently I'm off by a little for Lychee season. Luckily the local Asian Market had Rambutan! My intention was to make a Mead that was inspired by a Gewürztraminer Wine and Gewürztraminer shares some aroma compounds with Lychee's. So I'm thinking Lychee in Secondary if it's available by then. It's bubbling like crazy at 4 hours so I guess it's at least happy!

Recipe:

-5 lbs. Rambutan (Shucked, De-seeded, Crushed, Frozen, Thawed and Crushed again)
-17 lbs. Wildflower Honey (Locally Sourced)
-1 lb. Golden Raisins (From Sprouts)
-Enough Water for 5 Gallons
-2 tsp. Nutrient (SNA)
-1 tsp. Energizer (SNA)
-2 Packets Lalvin 1122
-1/2 tsp. Pecitc Enzyme
~OG: 1.128 @ 76F

I'm considering watering it down a bit since I'm afraid it'll be too sweet in the end, I'll have to think on it. I'd love to hear thoughts. Cheers.

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

Sounds wonderful. Since its 71B, it will likely end around 1.010. I don't think that will be too sweet. You will likely need some sweetness to balance the fruit.

Right now it's fermenting like its on steroids! I can't keep enough starsan in the airlock before it evaporates and foams it all away. Should probably switch to a blow-off instead. Is it the raisins that supercharge it? I guess there's a significant chance Lychee's still won't be available by the time it finishes Primary.

Right now it's fermenting like its on steroids! I can't keep enough starsan in the airlock before it evaporates and foams it all away. Should probably switch to a blow-off instead. Is it the raisins that supercharge it? I guess there's a significant chance Lychee's still won't be available by the time it finishes Primary.

From what I understand, raisins aren't that high in nitrogen. It's likely just a very healthy mix of minerals and nutrients coming from the mixture as a whole, rather than one specific ingredient.

Keep us updated. I'm curious to see how this one turns out. I've got 8 cans of lychee in syrup that I've been thinking of mixing with some frozen persimmons and ginger to make something with.

So it's all finished! I did end up adding canned lychee in secondary. At first I regretted it as it had that canned flavor but it cleaned all that up by the time it was finished! It is medium sweet, slightly tart, fruity and has a very nice mouthfeel. All in all I'm very happy with it.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481828402.613404.jpg

Looks great! Can't believe I missed your first post back in Sept. I discovered rambutan just this fall at an Armenian market in my neighborhood and was wondering how it would be in a mead.

What was your final gravity?

Looks great! Can't believe I missed your first post back in Sept. I discovered rambutan just this fall at an Armenian market in my neighborhood and was wondering how it would be in a mead.

What was your final gravity?

FG: 1.020
14.17% ABV

I guess that can just be considered a Sweet Wine, but my taste buds say it's on the top end of what I'd call Medium Sweet Dessert Wine. I'm over the moon with this one, I think it's probably my best batch along with my Oaked Coffee Cinnamon Bochet.

I'm gonna call it Strange Fruit. Though I felt some trepidation at first using this name because of the protest song with the same name and it's connotations. In the end I thought the name was too perfect for the wine and went with it anyway.

Looks great. How much syrup did you add?

I rinsed off the syrup from the canned Lychees, so for all intents and purposes I added no syrup. The Lychees were crushed, frozen, thawed and crushed again just like the Rambutans.

Any updates on how this aged?

I'm going to do a rambutan/lychee batch later this summer. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

It's actually the best batch of Mead I've ever made and seems to keep getting better as it ages. Don't forget the pectic enzymes for the fruit, my batch cleared beautifully when all said and done. And definitely use the golden raisins, they both perfectly compliment the tropical fruits and give it a wine-like quality. Please let me know how your batch turns out! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496018615.797073.jpg

Thanks for the reply and update. My wife and like 80% of her friends are Asian so this will be fun to gift and a conversation starter at parties. Might try longan, jackfruit, or mangosteen if I'm able to execute on this.

Sourcing the tropical fruits is a real problem here in LA which frankly is not what I expected from such a large city, I honestly thought I could find everything here! I'd kill to get my hands on some fresh Java Plums or genuine Hawaiian Taro (Leaves and Corms). Another side note, if you use the same Yeast strain just make sure you give it lots of time undisturbed to flocculate completely. This particular strain can still spit stuff out for months after bottling despite looking crystal clear. If you post about your batch I'll try to keep up with your progress.

I was going to roll with 71B and follow your recipe pretty close, thanks for the tip. Probably a few months out from getting this up and going though, in the middle of a move, but def giving this a whirl in due time. Tropical fruit season ramps up in another 4 weeks or so anyway. Not sure my wife will allow me to buy canned lychee, I'll probably go fresh in secondary. :D Thanks again for the support.

Back