Raison D'etre works faster than prune juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioBri

Reaction score
Must be the raisins. I'm not kidding...and without warning. If you order one on a first date, you are playing with fire.

That's strange. I practically lived off of the stuff for a period and it never affected me like that.

Two nights in a row for me. I hope it is a terrible coincidence, because I have 6 more in the fridge calling my name. I may shift blame to the Chinese food for one of those nights.

I wrote to Dogfish about this batch of Rasion D'Etre sucking. No head... absolutely no head. Not even remotely the same color, and some indescribable off flavor.

SN's fall brew "Tumbler" had the same effect on me and a buddy. We both drank it on tap at the local bar after work and gotten woken up having to run to the ****ter. I still won't touch that beer or get anything on tap that that place.

I wrote to Dogfish about this batch of Rasion D'Etre sucking. No head... absolutely no head. Not even remotely the same color, and some indescribable off flavor.

Did you get a response?

I haven't had it in awhile but it's never been a beer with high carbonation for me. Do you know the bottling date of the beer? It may just be old depending on where you got it from.

Did you get a response?

I haven't had it in awhile but it's never been a beer with high carbonation for me. Do you know the bottling date of the beer? It may just be old depending on where you got it from.

Yeah I did let me copy and paste it. I literally turned the bottle upside down about 7" above the glass and poured and got a few bubbles.

"Hey Jason,
Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us regarding your unpleasant experience with the Raison. We very much appreciate your support and knowledge of our beers. I am going to forward your email on to our guys/gals in Quality Control. Haven’t come across this problem before from anyone in TX, so it is really hard to say. That said, as you can imagine, as a brewery we are pretty busy each day getting the good stuff out, but we take concerns like yours very seriously. Once they have had a minute to go over your concern in the lab and if they have any additional questions you will be hearing back from us!

Again, thanks so much for your support!"

I really like the Raison as well and never had any problem with it. Have a copy of Extreme Brewing which has an extract clone recipe that I would like to try one of these days.

corkybstewart said:
I'm glad to hear it's good for something, it's another DFH beer I've tried but failed to appreciate. It's too syrupy for me.

I miss that taste... This one was bitter and almost spoiled tasting

I really like the Raison as well and never had any problem with it. Have a copy of Extreme Brewing which has an extract clone recipe that I would like to try one of these days.

Hey Dave , Id love to see the recipe you have, the one I just brewed, was from the brewer at dogfishhead......as told to me? I did the extract Brew.

Tell ya what, It was almost black and very thick.....YUMMMMM I had an OG of 1.072 Hopefully Im in the ballpark?

Hey Dave , Id love to see the recipe you have, the one I just brewed, was from the brewer at dogfishhead......as told to me? I did the extract Brew.

Tell ya what, It was almost black and very thick.....YUMMMMM I had an OG of 1.072 Hopefully Im in the ballpark?

Let's hear the recipe! I know the one in Extreme Brewing is not exact but rather an early version of the beer.

Let's hear the recipe! I know the one in Extreme Brewing is not exact but rather an early version of the beer.

7 lbs. Light DME
( I USED Light LME ) ??? think there will be much difference?

8 oz. Dark Munich malt
4 oz. crystal malt 60 Lovibond
8 oz. chocolate malt
4 oz. Kiln coffee
8 oz. Dark Belgian Candi syrup
4 oz. Beet or Brown sugar
6 oz. raisins (pureed)
0.5 oz Warrior pellet hops boil 60 min.
0.5 oz. Vanguard pellet hops end of boil
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II yeast

I made a 1 L starter, Then decanted, and made another 1 L starter.

This thread is hilarious to me, mostly because I just drank Dogfish's Raison last night and I'm currently doing a "squatting surf" of the homebrew forums.

The recipe in Extreme Brewing is pretting close to what Esmitee has posted, but has a few less ingerdients. Book says it is from Bryan Selders at DFH. It is as follows:

8 lbs. Light DME
8 oz. light chocolate malt
8 oz. Belgian Candi sugar (10 min)
6 oz. raisins (pureed) (10 min)
0.5 oz Warrior pellet hops boil (60 min)
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ale

SG 1.078 FG 1.016 target ABV 8% IBUs 25

Yeah I did let me copy and paste it. I literally turned the bottle upside down about 7" above the glass and poured and got a few bubbles.

"Hey Jason,
Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us regarding your unpleasant experience with the Raison. We very much appreciate your support and knowledge of our beers. I am going to forward your email on to our guys/gals in Quality Control. Haven’t come across this problem before from anyone in TX, so it is really hard to say. That said, as you can imagine, as a brewery we are pretty busy each day getting the good stuff out, but we take concerns like yours very seriously. Once they have had a minute to go over your concern in the lab and if they have any additional questions you will be hearing back from us!

Again, thanks so much for your support!"

I'm very happy they didn't send you a Copy/Paste response like most businesses would. Have you heard anything back yet?

I'm very happy they didn't send you a Copy/Paste response like most businesses would. Have you heard anything back yet?

No, to be honest I am not expecting it. For them being one of my Favorite breweries, I expected more attention to it than I am receiving. I had an issue with Stone and I got an unexpected package in the mail... I am not expecting this, but maybe a response. I am sure they keep reference bottles from each batch that leaves the warehouse. Who knows. I will update all.

The recipe in Extreme Brewing is pretting close to what Esmitee has posted, but has a few less ingerdients. Book says it is from Bryan Selders at DFH. It is as follows:

8 lbs. Light DME
8 oz. light chocolate malt
8 oz. Belgian Candi sugar (10 min)
6 oz. raisins (pureed) (10 min)
0.5 oz Warrior pellet hops boil (60 min)
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ale

SG 1.078 FG 1.016 target ABV 8% IBUs 25

Yes Dave,. Its soo close except for the yeast and the Beet sugar. I used Belgian Brown Sugar made from beets. Im happy that they almost match!!! I have no OG nor Fg numbers from the recipe, But Im happy to see my OG is soo close! Thanks for posting, BTW I used "Golden Raisins" I read the ones DFH uses, comes from Iran???

Back