Raising the height of a false bottom for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
So, I have a 10 gallon Bayou Classic kettle with a built in thermometer that is an extreme snag hazard for BIAB. However, the kettle came with a false bottom that sits just below the probe. If I could raise it up a couple inches, I could use it to fix all my tearing problems. Can anyone recommend a good way to do this?

Basically, I need to take one of these and make it about 3" taller:https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classi...WZFGPE96M88&psc=1&refRID=XMESREJ49WZFGPE96M88

Last edited:
how much you want to spend, you put one of these on top of the existing false bottom
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabbottom13.htm

Or drill holes in the feet of the existing false bottom and add some bolts to lift it up sort of like what the thing I linked does.

might be easier cheaper to remove the thermometer, plug the hole and measure the temp some other way.

Last edited:
I would eliminate the FB unless recirculating?

Raising the FB 3 “ will put a large percentage of the liquor outside the mash, might make for very thick mashes on larger beers.

Not knowing your goals, I would ditch the FB and the kettle thermometer....or tie a string around your finger to remind you to be more careful:)

I would eliminate the FB unless recirculating?

Raising the FB 3 “ will put a large percentage of the liquor outside the mash, might make for very thick mashes on larger beers.

Not knowing your goals, I would ditch the FB and the kettle thermometer....or tie a string around your finger to remind you to be more careful:)
I would be about 2/5 of the way up a 10 gallon pot, would that cause issues? I'm not going to be doing anything over a 5 gallon batch in this pot. I quite like having a thermometer built in, especially because my tiny stove won't heat the water up in anything resembling a timely fashion unless the lid stays on. I suppose I could also just get good at using the spoon to clear the bag when I lift it out...

I'm totally willing to spend $30 on a second false bottom in the interest of having a very compact/convenient setup.

Last edited:
What is the use of the thermometer if it is outside the mash? Unless you are recirculating from under the false bottom and returning to the top of the mash the temp of the liquor under your false bottom may be very different from that in the mash. Whey you mention stovetop brewing I am guessing this is not a recirculating system. Ditch the thermometer and plug the hole. Get a nice probe thermometer--this one is great: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/cdndtq450.htm

I'd probably keep the false bottom to avoid scorching your bag if you do end up needing to heat the mash part way through the process.

What is the use of the thermometer if it is outside the mash? Unless you are recirculating from under the false bottom and returning to the top of the mash the temp of the liquor under your false bottom may be very different from that in the mash. Whey you mention stovetop brewing I am guessing this is not a recirculating system. Ditch the thermometer and plug the hole. Get a nice probe thermometer--this one is great: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/cdndtq450.htm

I'd probably keep the false bottom to avoid scorching your bag if you do end up needing to heat the mash part way through the process.

Just bought thermometer and plug. Thanks.

Wise move, a FB 2/5 of the way up a 10 gallon pot is 4 gallons of water under the grain...NG imo

If it were me, I would ditch the FB, dough in the grain and place your kettle in a warm oven for the mash.

Even without a FB, you can apply medium heat IF YOU STIR CONSTANTLY.

You may also see an efficiency gain w/o the FB.
Jmo of course....many ways.

I prefer using a hand held thermometer, as you can easily check a few spots around the kettle to be sure you are well mixed and have an accurate temp.

Back