Raising temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomofett

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that this probably isn't what was to blame, but I'll ask just to be safe. (I had to add that cause I don't know if I'm in the right thread)

I made 5 beers recently, all small batches. And during fermentation they were fine. I sampled and they were great. I decided to raise the temp at the end to 22c just to be safe. Then for the two days before bottling I unplugged my little heater for them and they went down to about 15c. When I bottled they all tasted odd, weaker or watery. My coffee stout tasted very watery and the coffee flavor went really mild. My IPA lost most of the good smell.

Is there anyway that raising the temp and lowering it did anything? I can't think of anything else. And that seems unlikely but I don't know what to think. And I'm especially overthinking it because they were all for my first competition I'll ever be entering.

Thanks!

Raising the temp to 22c AFTER fermentation is complete and then lowering to 15c shouldn't be the cause of any problems at all. In fact, dropping the temp can help drop out the yeast. In my experience, the beer can taste differently as the yeast drop out and as you lower the temp. What matters is what it tastes like after it's bottled/kegged. Good Luck

I'd look elsewhere in your process. 22c is not an issue for yeast. Neither is dropping down after you finished.

Is it possible you sucked back something from a blow off bucket?

Thin and watery sound more like issues related to diluted beers or 100% Brett beers where glycogen (spelling) was not created.

Thanks, the gravities were where they were supposed to be so maybe my tastes were just off that day or I grabbed a weird sample or something. Oh well, we'll see once it all conditions.
Thanks again!

Back