Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first attempt with an Irish red recipe. I brewed a partial mash version yesterday, with Maris Otter instead of 2-row

3.5 lb Maris Otter base malt
1 lb Caraaroma
0.5 lb Carafoam
0.5 lb Melanoiden Malt
3lb Maris Otter liquid extract
1 oz Crystal Pellet hops
1 oz Cascade pellet hops
1 lb honey at flameout

Unfortunately the hydrometer did not survive landing on the concrete shop floor, so don't know the actual OG, but was calced around 1.055

Also decided to ferment as a lager with WY2308, it's at 50F and has about 1/2" kreusen.

Thanks Mysticmead

no problem... and this just goes to show how well this recipe can be adapted. Instead of Irish Red Ale... it'll be a red lager..and I love it! might end up brewing one myself :)

Well mine turned out pretty nice. As I mentioned before; I replaced the honey with .5 honey malt and added another .5 2 row. I also used Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast.

Now that it's almost fully carbed in the keg it's really really good. I don't know what to think about the aroma. It's just different than the taste.

I may try this again with a different yeast and maybe follow the recipe to a T.

I need to brew this again, this was my favorite batch to date. Brewed original recipe with the exception of using honey malt instead of honey

5.5gal batch

I replaced honey with honey malt at a 1:1 ratio

This was actually an accident I misread the original recipe, and I have not tried the version with honey but I love how mine turned out need to brew again

This is my first attempt with an Irish red recipe. I brewed a partial mash version yesterday, with Maris Otter instead of 2-row

3.5 lb Maris Otter base malt
1 lb Caraaroma
0.5 lb Carafoam
0.5 lb Melanoiden Malt
3lb Maris Otter liquid extract
1 oz Crystal Pellet hops
1 oz Cascade pellet hops
1 lb honey at flameout

Unfortunately the hydrometer did not survive landing on the concrete shop floor, so don't know the actual OG, but was calced around 1.055

Also decided to ferment as a lager with WY2308, it's at 50F and has about 1/2" kreusen.

Thanks Mysticmead

Another one going in the recipe book. I will NEVER brew all these beers, but this one WILL be made (as an ale). This year. Promise!!!

I've done a little mistake! I used 0.5kg of melanoid and carafoam (instead of 0.5 lb) plus 1kg cara 120 instead of (1lb). Mashed with 5 gallons, batch sparged and got 6.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5 gallons (1.056 after cooling). Used wyeast 1084 since I didn't have white lab.

It's still fermenting a bit after 4 days (1-2 bubbles every 10 seconds maybe). It's my second brew ever so I didn't know the fermentation process would get the temp so high on it's own (went up to 80°F after a day). Now I'm cooling it with a wet towel, down to 72-70°F. Might have more fruit esthers than originaly planned.

I realised this after putting the wort into the carboy, it look more brown than red :p If Beersmith is accurate, it should be 21 SRM instead of 15.

So much crystal and mela will probably be a bit overpowering. Might be an idea to do a single malt brew and mix it with this one or if stuck for time something with malt extract.

I've done a little mistake! I used 0.5kg of melanoid and carafoam (instead of 0.5 lb) plus 1kg cara 120 instead of (1lb). Mashed with 5 gallons, batch sparged and got 6.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5 gallons (1.056 after cooling). Used wyeast 1084 since I didn't have white lab.

It's still fermenting a bit after 4 days (1-2 bubbles every 10 seconds maybe). It's my second brew ever so I didn't know the fermentation process would get the temp so high on it's own (went up to 80°F after a day). Now I'm cooling it with a wet towel, down to 72-70°F. Might have more fruit esthers than originaly planned.

I realised this after putting the wort into the carboy, it look more brown than red :p If Beersmith is accurate, it should be 21 SRM instead of 15.

with all those changes it won't be like the beer I designed... it'll still be a beer you made and will probably turn out to be a pretty good beer (the best beers are the ones we tend to screw up). RDWHAHB

Wow this is one of my favorite beers so far great color tastes great.Followed the original recipe hit all the numbers.

20150617_174402.jpg

Was talking to my wife yesterday about brewing summer beers when I should be thinking about the fall beers and she brought this one up. The dilemma then became the proper season for an IRA and I've pretty much decided this one will have to always be on tap when I build my keezer

How would this turn out if I were to use WLP007? (Have some laying around I'd like to get used up)

Going to attempt batch number 2 of this in a week or two, probably the best beer I've made to date but I've hit my brewing quota for this week

brewed this today looks pretty good came out with an sg 1.050 just getting started on all grain. tasted the hydrometer sample malty and plenty sweet nice redish hue thought it would be a little darker but oh well subbed caramel 120 and used safeale us-04

100_0797.jpg

I'm jealous Jim, I miss this beer being in my stash but being the drinker I am and the way this beer tastes it was never gonna last long

I'm in the processing of changing my equipment to 10 gallon batches, along with all my recipes in beersmith.
Everything converts nicely to the higher numbers, but I question the amount of honey needed. Would you use the same conversion ratio for honey?
Converting to a 10 gallon batch, beersmith says 2 lb. 3.2 oz. honey.
This seems like a lot. Anyone do 10G batches on this recipe?
Also would like to try a honey malt alternative. How much honey malt would you recommend?

I brewed a 5 gal batch with honey malt and swapped it out at a 1:1 ratio with the honey

Correct in the interest of full disclosure I chose that ratio because I misread the recipe and thought the OP called for honey malt, however I love the way it tasted and was my favorite beer I've brewed to date

Love this recipe/beer! A definite keeper for repeat.

In this craft, I think taste and mouth feel are obviously the most important. Then comes head retention and appearance. So my question is about appearance.

I'd like to be able to show off the beautiful red color of this beer while maintaining the that great taste.

It's pretty dark in color. You can hold it up to the light and see the beautiful red hue, but would like it to be slightly lighter so the red shines through just a little more....

However, in reading through the malt descriptions, it seems that both malts that lend the red color to the beer (Melanoiden & Caraaroma) are both high in flavor as well?

I was thinking of cutting the Caraaroma in half and adding some candi caramel to the recipe.

Anyone experimented with the color and have feedback on the impact on taste??

Thoughts??

getting ready to keg this one sg was 1.050 and finished out at 1.012 after 15 days at 64* F and using safeale s-04 yeast has a good smell and nice flavor in the sample.

IMG_0384.jpg

Greetings, this is going to be my first all grain and I have a few questions on technique.

I built a 48 qt square mash-tun with a false bottom. When mashing do I fill the mash-tun with the grain bill and then add the strike water or do I fill with strike water and dough in at once? Sounds like a dumb question but I am concerned about too much heat loss allowing the water to trickle in from my hot liquor/boil kettle.

How would wild honey affect the flavor profile? And if used should I boil it in or is adding at flame-out enough to sanitize it?>

Thanks

Greetings, this is going to be my first all grain and I have a few questions on technique.

I built a 48 qt square mash-tun with a false bottom. When mashing do I fill the mash-tun with the grain bill and then add the strike water or do I fill with strike water and dough in at once? Sounds like a dumb question but I am concerned about too much heat loss allowing the water to trickle in from my hot liquor/boil kettle.

How would wild honey affect the flavor profile? And if used should I boil it in or is adding at flame-out enough to sanitize it?>

Thanks

first.... add the water to the mash tun, then add grain and mix well.
second, use what ever cheap honey you want. you won't get any flavor from it as it's simply there to boost the ABV. honey added at flame out will be pasteurized and sanitized.
third. CONGRATS on making the jump to All Grain. once you brew a couple you'll wonder why you waited as long as you did.

first.... add the water to the mash tun, then add grain and mix well.
second, use what ever cheap honey you want. you won't get any flavor from it as it's simply there to boost the ABV. honey added at flame out will be pasteurized and sanitized.
third. CONGRATS on making the jump to All Grain. once you brew a couple you'll wonder why you waited as long as you did.

Thanks MM,
you mentioned that mash time is more related to conversion. Do you take periodic gravity readings of the resting mash to determine the conversion factor you are looking for?

Thanks MM,
you mentioned that mash time is more related to conversion. Do you take periodic gravity readings of the resting mash to determine the conversion factor you are looking for?

mashing for 60 minutes will generally achieve complete conversion. The way to test is an iodine test. if unconverted starches are in the wort (a single drop on a piece of white chalk) will turn dark purple/black when iodine is added. when brew using BIAB I mash for 90 minutes, when I use my cooler mash tun I mash for 60 minutes

How do you think this will go as a base for say.... aging with Mamajuana soaked roots and tree bark straight from the bottle?

Thinking about aging it for a few months in the secondary.

no idea.. never heard of mamajuana before. but since you asked, it would be a completely different beer. not even remotely close to what this beer was designed for. If you do it, please post the results good or bad. That's the best thing about home brewing, you can brew anything you want. If it sucks, it can be dumped, if it kicks ass then you can keep making it

Anyone tried aging this?

Thinking of making one batch for St Patricks Day and maybe brewing it in 1-2 weeks from now.

Mine turned out really good. It has a bit of sweetness to it, same as a scotch ale would have. It has a strong hazelnut and caramel taste too due to my mistake (doubling the speciality grains).

When I botteled, I've put some in the fridge right away and those didn't carbonate. My last batch of stout didn't had that problem.

If I had enough bottles I would make another batch right away with thé original recipe this time loll

Mine turned out really good. It has a bit of sweetness to it, same as a scotch ale would have. It has a strong hazelnut and caramel taste too due to my mistake (doubling the speciality grains).

When I botteled, I've put some in the fridge right away and those didn't carbonate. My last batch of stout didn't had that problem.

If I had enough bottles I would make another batch right away with thé original recipe this time loll

you need to bottle condition at room temp for a couple weeks to get them to carbonate.

Hi guys. Brewed up a batch of this a few weeks ago and I am enjoying it. It tastes great but the damn thing is super cloudy/hazy. The red color is there but I will be damned if could get much light to pass through it.

I used Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, which I understand is not the best of clearing yeast. It was fermented for two and half weeks on primary then kegged, rested for a week at cool room temp (to make room in my fermenter), then cooled for the past few weeks. Still, as of today it's very opaque.

I did this via mash recirc and I know my wort was pretty clear. I used a hop bag for my pellet hope. I forgot to put a whirfloc tab in though. I use a two stage counterflow chiller and cool in one pass into the fermenter, so I a m sure there was some cold break in the fermenter.

Any idea what's up? Would it be too late to put some gelatin in? Anyone have a similar experience? Enjoying it but would love it to be clearer to let that beautiful color shine.

Thanks in advance!

-BD

Latest posts

Back