Radical New Sterilization Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw something abut that a couple days ago. Pretty cool stuff if it works as promised. I'm guessing it will be ridiculously expensive.

The spray forms a water-resistant layer, meaning it can be cleaned using only water. Trials by food-processing companies showed that sterile surfaces covered with a film of liquid glass were equally clean after a rinse with hot water as after their usual treatment with strong bleach.

This intrigues me.

Might be able to spray your @$$ too, then you wouldn't have to wipe anymore. How convenient.

I am intrigued but not sure I would trust it when I clean and sanitize my equipment. Heck I don't trust StarSan but I force my self (twist me arm) RDWHAHB and my fears seem to go away.

Will see how this pans out. Next thing you know we find out that it causes some sort of cancer or better yet Alzheimer's like the Aluminum pots debate.

That's pretty amazing.

In my industry I see journal articles with titles like: "Silica, the Next Asbestos" all of which are addressing particulate dust, suspended in the air, and breathed in as a hazard.

I wonder if the material is also an issue in the integumentary system.
One would think that the Germans would have asked that question.

Neil McClelland, Nanopool's UK project manager, told The Independent: "Very soon almost every product you purchase will be protected with a highly durable, easy-to-clean coating ... the concept of spray-on glass is mind-boggling."

One hopes they asked that question.

Silicon dioxide is silica (SiO2). It's pretty inert, but hard near diamond hardness so it's capacity to abrade and cut is pretty high.

wow, if this works, that would be great. Curious question though, it says you can only clean in with water, what about the alcohol in the beer? If I use it to clean my carboys then put beer in it, what would happen? time will tell i guess?

Back