Racking Sampling with Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have a beer that has some wheat in it. The krausen is not falling. I have had this happen a few times.

My question is has anyone figured out a good way to maximize racking. I was thinking I would use a zip tie to hold a hop bag over the tip of the racking cane. Any thoughts.

Also, my beer is in a carboy so skimming the krausen is not a option.

I don't quite understand - why would krausen affect racking? In those situations I just rack normally without any issues.

I suppose my dense mind is still not getting this - why would putting the racking cane such that the inlet point is just above the trub not suck up all the beer until it was level with the inlet point? If you were concerned about krausen you could cut off the siphon right before it got down to the inlet point - I've managed to do it within a milimeter or two.

Still, if you get some krausen I don't think that'd be a big deal. I don't even know how the krausen would travel up the tube because the moment you started sucking it there wouldn't be a continuous flow of liquid to keep the siphon going.

If you feel you need to filter the inlet of the racking cane use a rubber band to hold the hop bag. It is more secure than a zip tie. I've done this with dry hopping when the hops wouldn't settle.

Back