Racking Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handlebarz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but not new to making mead. I think I've been at it for the past seven years or so, with mixed results.

I've begun to try and hone in more carefully exactly what makes a batch turn out well and what makes them miss the mark. While I'm getting more serious about making mead I'm also looking to dabble in making beer and I need my only six gallon fermenter free for my next batch of brew.

I have a lemon ginger mead that is on it's secondary in my six gallon carboy and I am wondering if transferring it to another carboy will impact the final product at this stage. I've racked mead off many times before, but only after the bulk of the fermentation has stopped. This fermentation is about a month old and the airlock is producing a bubble once every fifteen seconds.

Should I dare racking it?

Cheers,

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't think twice about carefully racking it. Of course, I'm usually technically wrong, so don't listen to me.

Somehow, the product always ends up very tasty anyway. Something about a special providence for drunkards, fools, and the United States of America, I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome to the forum. Should I leave the yeast cake behind or bring it along? I imagine most of the yeast there is dormant at this point, no?

Back