Racking question?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsman

Reaction score
I brewed a brewers best imperial blonde ale 1 week ago bubbling has slowed down to about a burb every 2 minutes. I wanted to rack to glass today (i understand that many peopl dont rack to 2ndary) I have the equip so why not. Is it too soon to do this? will it harm the process?
any info is greatly appreciated.

GOOD SWILLING!!!

the gravity is 1.016 right in range of directions. I am thinking of letting sit in primary for one more week.

I'd just leave it in primary after FG is reached & it settles out clear or slightly misty. Then on to the bottling bucket.

Will a beer actually clear up by itself if left in primary? Can you add geletin or other finning agents without racing to secondary?

Yeah,it'll clear up well in primary all by itself. But for those times when that fine misty stuff won't settle out,A clearing agent should do the trick. Unless you're going to wash the yeast. I do it all the time with a high flocculation yeast.

after reading many threads on ths site ive decided to let the brew sit in primary im thinking about 3 weeks to a month, from what I understand it seems that when you have a stable fg (for at least aweek) with no changes the beer is done fermenting?? This is my 2nd batch and find the whole thing addicting. My first batch was an american amber. I tried 1 bottle after a weeks time great taste and aroma just little to no carb. The waiting is tough but it seems to help.
thanks for the advice!!!!

As long as you've got a stable FG,it won't change it to allow time to settle out well. Save for better quality beer. And since we eat with our eyes,clear beer is always more appealing.

I use secondary fermenters, I usually let my beer sit in the primary for 7 to 10 days then rack to a secondary with gelatin for 14+ days to clear.

what does that mean?

Someone questioned if the beer's flavor would be changed by allowing it to sit in primary long enough to settle out clear. Like they were refering to the old dead yeast bit in the earlier versions of the usual brewing books. Proven to be a myth on here,& I remember being caught in the middle of that one.
So you basically get all the flavors your recipe was meant to have by letting it clear,good temps,etc.
And we do indeed "eat with our eyes". How good something looks tells the brain this is going to taste good,hurry up & gimme! Then the linked senses of smell & taste come to bare,completing the experience.

Latest posts

Back